Article in The Toronto Star about Linux & Mandrake

Desire

I remember when computer techs were making fun of windex, and the pretty pictures. Of coiurse, these folks used various dos, unix, and command line os's. Windex overcame that with marketing. Yes, we never think about what Gates had to do to get where he is. He had to market the product. And then, he had to answer technical questions, which they were lousy at! So, they came up with the brilliant idea to have the vendors install the os, and not the users.

It is a brick wall. Mandrake absolutely refuses to market effectively and to have anything like a customer service department.  It was a major step that they ever acknowledged this particular web sight. Yes, I'm afraid I must agree that the real culprit in this article is not the paper, not the users, not the writers, and not even windex. It's Mandrake!!!! :unsure:

AAAAAAHHHHHHH!

It makes me want to scream. :lol:

Gotta agree

I think the article is fair enough for it's intentions: check whether normal computer users would be able to make the switch to Linux, and if it would make sense for them.

The outcome is not too bad either. Three out of three were able to do most stuff with their computer they wanted it to do, and none said they would go back to Windoze and not use it anymore. So it shows it is possible, and it does make sense.

Of course it would have been much better if the people who started this test first sought some more information to help the newbies (like the website from aRTee, this board, etc.) so that the experience would have been more optimal. This would also have been more realistic, as someone who would do this from own will (not as a given mission) would have done so.

A pitty the site does not offer any room for comments.

All in all the latest message that is given is that a person that is not very computer literate prefers Mandrake over Windoze, so that anyone could give it a try. And the latest message is the most important, it sticks best.

Of course there should be more reasons for people to do the effort to switch, so I hope that M$ and the others will increase their efforts to fight against illegal copies of their software. That is the best marketing Linux can get.

Ciao,

Sitor