Network setup

Leo

I am attempting to network some pcs together and am having limited success.

I currently have:

one pc with win 98 and MDK 9.0 dual booting

one pc with slackware 9.1

a laptop dual booting win 2K and Slackware 9.1

an old low spec (not sure about the CPU) 64MB RAM 6GB HDD currently running Win NT (this will change)

I also have a 5 port switch box.

all four have ethernet cards (the laptop has wireless capability).

none of the machines are left on (I only have 56k modem connection to internet from the MDK machine)

My aim was to shift the modem into the old NT box and run slackware on it (without X)to use it as a firewall and internet connection for the network (possibly overkill given that it is only a 56k modem and not always on but I am only playing)

I can share files between all the Linux machines when they are on and connected as well as open remote shells (I am working on Wake On LAN).

My main problem is that I cannot get the win 98 box to recognise the network (or be recognised by the network) when it is logged in. I have read around a bit and think that I need to get Samba set up but am confused as to exactly what I need to do. I did not want to have to leave any of the pcs on permanently but have a feeling that in order to get windows networked this would be necessary as Samba would have to be running on a pc to network windows.

In order to get windows into the network (whenever the machine is booted into windows rather than MDK) do i need a network server with Samba on it? The obvious choice for this would be the NT machine (with a new OS on it) but I am guessing that this would rule it out as the firewall (from a security point of view).

Any other suggestions?

Yes if you have mixed Linux and Windows machines on the network, you need Samba on the Linux boxes.

I more or less know to set ICS and Samba with ML9.1 and with Win98 boxes on the network. I have no experience if there is at least one NT and worse a XP box. I know it can be more complicate as NT or XP will try to be the network master.

I Don't exatly what it means but you may have to change Samba default setting if you want the Linux box to stay the master.

Here are some post that can answer some of your questions:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=7584

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?showtopic=9046

Hope this help

roland

The links look really useful, thanks Roland. I shall give Samba a go.

I'm not bothered about the NT machine since it is a machine I "acquired" so the version of NT will not be staying when I get around to using it.