Cant Ping After Good Internet Connect

pmconway

Even though I get good Internet connects reported (by both kppp and wvdial), I can't ping anything (nor browse, etc.). I always get "destination host unreachable." Somewheree on the Net I read I should try "ifconfig eth0 down" which I did. But to no avail. What else can the problem be?

Thanks a lot.

Trish

Welcome to the board!

Could you tell how you have verified the connection? Have you set up the internet through Mandrake Control Center? Are you certain that the modem is connecting?

You are no doubt very close, and just a few clicks will get you there!

Check your firewall. I'll bet you have it turned on and it is blocking your PPP connection. Look in the Security section of the Mandrake Configuration tool.

yep, try putting it to "no firewall" for a while, you can't set it to ppp via the GUI, you have to edit the shorewall config files.

in the meantime under terminal, once connected, type

iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --syn -j DROP

to set up a basic firewall, assuming you have iptables installed.

Many thanks to Ixthusdan, dacp06, & Arthur for the encouragement; and for pointing me in the direction of my firewall. That was the problem. However, I think I badly implemented Arthur's suggestion for interim firewall protection. I installed iptables_ipv6_1.2.8.2mdk (to Mandrake 9.2) preparatory to entering "ipables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --syn -j DROP" - but now I never get far enough for the latter.

My attempts to estabish a ppp connection fail with a "Couldn't find interface ppp0" diagnostic; and this was true after the install and is still, after I backed it out again. Does anyone have a suggestion of how I can get past "Couldn't find interface ppp0"? I figure, at worst, I'll just reinstall Mandrake.

Thanks again.

Trish

I'm a bit lost here, but why did you install the iptables-ipv6? just do a normal iptables install...

Iptables might have been activated as a service, go to MCC>system and look at services to disable/enable iptables.

Does dialing give any error messages?