install multiple Linux distributions

Guest dingquan

Guest dingquan

I have installed Mandrake 9.0 on /hda7. last night I tried to install Redhat 8.0 on /hda3. During the installation, when configuring Grub loader, I added an entry for Mandrake (pointing to /hda7). But this doesn't work, when I tried to load up MDK9.0 in Grub, it failed.

So what am I supposed to do to have multiple distributions installed?

Thanks!

You say

During the installation, when configuring Grub loader
.When you installed rh did you cancel the install of the bootloader? That's what I do, then start ML and use mcc>Mount Points to find out the location of rh, and edit /boot/grub/menu.lst. If you didn't and it's screwed up, boot the ML9.0 First Install CD and press F1 at the first screen, then type rescue, and select restore bootloader (or whatever it's called).

If I use the MDK CD to recover boot loader for MDK, will my RH be gone?
No, the install won't be gone. You'll just have to do like I said above and find out where rh is and add it to mdk's /boot/grub/menu.lst.

I'd guess this would also apply to rh's grub, if you wanted it for the graghical grub, or whatever it is. I don't know what rh has as far as rescue utilities.

Here's a simple way to do it:

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...5582&highlight=

I've been down this road many times and this is a pretty straightforward way to deal with the problem of booting multiple linux distros.

It is certainly possible to have multiple linux distros on your bootloader. What you have to remember is that at boot time only the partition from which the bootloader was installed will be mounted and recognized so you have to copy the info for booting the other linux distros to that partition. The above link describes how to do this by copying the boot floppy info to the partition mounted at boot time.

Create a boot floppy for redhat and reinstall the mandrake bootloader by using the install disk CD1 in rescue mode. Then follow my procedure per the above link for creating a redhat entry in your mandrake bootloader.