Installing D-Link Internal Modem in MDK 9.1

gantayet

Have tried installing the D-Link 560IS+++ internal Modem in Mdk 9.1. The RPM which came along with the Modem ran successfully. And the link to /dev/modem to /dev/ttyHSF0 was also created.

Am able to dial using KPPP. But post dialing, and modem negotiations, the log window throws up garbage for sometime, and then NO CARRIER message comes up.

There is no problem with the line as the modem runs fine with Windows!

Would be glad for any pointers!!

Thanks in advance

-SG

I know thi isn't what you want to hear, but I'm going to say it anyway.

Stop using a winmodem.

i know it seems like a ot of money to pay $50.00 for modem, but it's not. When I first bought my external modem, I was still dual booting with windows XP, and i can honestly tell you, that an external hardware controlled modem, works better. Period. Even in Windows they work better.

I can personaly reccomend the modem I use. It's the Creative Labs Modem Blaster External (serial) It's cable has both types of serial conections and it's is reasonably small and attractive if you care.

They run about $49.99 and are worth every penny, especialy in linux.

That being said, i agree that it's not a hardware probllem, or even a driver problem but an authentication problem. Chances are, you are using the wrong method of authentication.

Try setting the auth type in kppp to PAP/chap which will autoselect between them. If that doesn't work,it's probably a script type authentication protecal, and you are in for a headache with any kind of modem.

Post your errors as you've been asked, and also tell us everything you know about your ISP (especialy who it is). Don't post user/pass, but post everything else you feal you can.

also, if you go cannon fodders route and get a new ISP (may not be a bad idea), Earthlink and MSN both work well with linux. That's right, the Microsoft Network ISP fully supports standard ppp connections and plays very nice with linux, go figure......

Thanks for all those who replied!

IT WAS an authentication problem.

As Veedubb suggested, changed the auth to PAP/CHAP and it worked fine!

And BTW the winmodem does runs great (really sprints!!!). So no need for me to splurge a few $$$ more on an external modem (as of now that is!!! :-)

In fact this is the first time am using an internal modem as earlier was using external ones (the last one decided had enough of me and blew out its power supply section!!! Lasted a good three years anyway!!).

Thanks again!

- SG