synce - linux pocketpc software

evilmrt

It would be amazing if someone could put together a HOW-TO for this seemingly difficult program...

synce.sourceforge.net/synce

I haven't seen another MDK user (or linux user) who has installed it successfully.

I have to keep booting into winblows to use my pocketpc :P

same here, i have tried with mandy 9.2 but no luck, i need to recompile the kernel because ofthe usb storage drivers that what they said on their page, now that i have mdk 10 i should chek it again.

i haven't found any mdk rpm. so if you found some let me konw :)

• 2 weeks later...

Hey folks

I've got basic functionality with Mandrake 9.2 and synce. I am still plodding away at multisync, but the list of dependencies is quite long and I'm quite tied up with other things at the moment. But basically, the how-to on the Synce website is quite complete, the only thing Mandrake users need to do is patch their usbserial.c file (NOTE: The one posted at the website gave me kernel dumps when I disconnected, so try the one below)

So once you patch it, unfortunately I think you need to recompile your entire kernel as simply doing a make modules followed by a make modules install will install the modules for kernel 2.4.22-10mdkcustom.

You can go to www.recompile.org for a good how-to on recompiling (don't worry, not as scary as it sounds)

After doing that patch, the how-to on the Synce website will lead you to the money!

--- usbserial.c-orig 2003-11-22 20:11:00.000000000 -0800

+++ usbserial.c 2003-11-22 22:59:01.000000000 -0800

@@ -576,11 +576,10 @@

dbg("%s - port %d", __FUNCTION__, port->number);

/* if disconnect beat us to the punch here, there's nothing to do */

- if (tty && tty->driver_data) {

- tty->driver_data = NULL;

+ if (tty->driver_data) {

__serial_close(port, filp);

}

- port->tty = NULL;

+

up (&port->sem);

}

I managed it before - unfotunately I use a palm now with jpilot so I forget exactly what I did.

It was basically a case of plodding along and following the very clear docs they have. Also I very strongly recommend the mailing lists - the people are very helpful. You may be asked to test some patches that fix the bug you found - but that's fair enough surely?

Anyway - whilst I can't remember enough to give specific guidance, I will just say keep plodding on - it can be done :D