Speedtouch 330 modem - suggestions for easy instal

ChrisM

Hey all

I've noted across the bulletin boards that the speedtouch 330modem can be problematic to install with mdk 9.2 and that also, firmware needs to be installed additionally from the Thompson site.

For a complete newbie, can anybody recommend a site that will allow me to install the 330 without any complications. I'm not yet up with the command line stuff and for now at least, just want to get access to the net.

From what I've read, there doesn't seem to be an all in one install process and it seems life doesn't get much more complicated than installing this bit of kit!

For a complete newbie, can anybody recommend a site that will allow me to install the 330 without any complications.

I don't know that such a site exists, but as many of the problems are created by Mandrake trying to simplify things, this is probably as good a place as any!

We're short of experts on this subject, but let me outline the situation as I understand it - I'm no expert but I do use the Speedtouch USB modem with Mandrake 9.1.

Firstly, there is a problem with the firewall in 9.1, 9.2 and 10. The shorewall config files are set up to use eth0 instead of ppp0. These can be changed manually.

Secondly, the mgmt.o file is missing in 9.2. This can be downloaded in the package from the Thomson site.

Thirdly, support for the modem in 10 is now provided in the kernel, but there are references to 'speedtch' in /etc/modules.conf and /etc/modprobe.conf which prevent it working. There are updates to rectify this, so the future looks brighter!

So - as you're using 9.2, get the driver package from http://www.speedtouchdsl.com/dvrreg_lx.htm or http://download.ethomson.com/download/speedmgmt.tar.gz and save the mgmt.o file in /usr/share/speedtouch.

If you enable shorewall, amend the entry in /etc/shorewall/interfaces to read 'net ppp0'... instead of 'net eth0'...; and put 'ppp0' in /etc/shorewall/routestopped.

When you set up your internet connection, your speedtouch should be detected, along with an ethernet card and a winmodem, perhaps. Select the speedtouch only. In particular, do NOT select the ethernet card, as it won't let you change your mind afterwards! Not via the GUI anyway.

I don't know if this will work as I don't have 9.2, but if you give it a try, you can come back with problems as they arise! :)

Edited by spinynorman

Thanks for this informative response.

I'll be spending the first day (and hopefully no longer!) of my easter break on this; I'll be following your advise and give updates to the board as and when.

Thanks again.

Chris.

I would like to extend my thanks also spinynorman for your well detailed response here.

I think it will be helping me to resolve my problem of connecting my SPEEDTOUCH 530 USB Modem as well. I accidently put my thread on this my problem in the Installation section. You can see it there and maybe add further comments that may help me. Could you explain for me please what you mean about putting

ppp0 in /etc/shorewall/routestopped .

Cheers for now and thanks. John

Edited by AussieJohn

Could you explain for me please what you mean about putting ppp0 in /etc/shorewall/routestopped.

Edit the file /etc/shorewall/routestopped as root and simply write on a line of its own

ppp0

If there's an entry for eth0, take it out - I'm not sure what to expect as I'm not using shorewall. :)

It wouldn't install,

Me mate who has some Linux experience tried everything, and followed your advice but we've had to abandon - well at least for now. And we've tried for hours and hours today.

I'm a newbie to Linux and havn't yet grabbed the command lines, so it seems I have get up to speed, otherwise the only PC I'll eb ablen to access the net will be from using M$ ME - :wall:

So we are finding more members who are unable to setup their USB ADSL modems. For a while there, I thought I might have been about the only one.

Please keep trying, all you great helpers.

I am covering every single bit of advice and trying them all.

I am currently setting up Mandrake 9.2 again to see if I can install the modem on it. Ah well back to try again.

Cheers.

Well I have reinstalled Mandrake 9.2 and done everything everyone has suggested but it still will not connect.

Each of the programs seem to install without errors but finally it says cannot connect.

Yet when one reboots it gives a message of difficulty in disconnecting???? the USBCORE is in use ??

I have not been able to install the kdsl programme as it appears to have a dependency problem that I have not yet been able to work out (this is a tar and not an RPM). It does the ./configure but not the make part.

Being from a fellow Aussie, I thought this program might be the answer but not yet.

Will keep plugging on.

Bloody hell it's going to be great when this problem is solved.