Alcatel Speedtouch530 ADSL USB Modem

AussieJohn

Aussiejohn

where is it man - where's the How To? Really pleased that you got the Speedtouch licked. I've 'kinda' got a connection, but its real slow and wipes out the firewall so I now darenot conenct! :wall: Please let me have the how to so I can start all again!!

OK

here's is probably a real dumb question, but here goes...

Very Easy.

Connect modem with LAN cable -- its better and easier than USB

Configure connection as a LAN connection in MCC.

How do I connect a USB with LAN cable The Speedtouch has a fixed usb cable.

Sorry if this is a real dumbass question

Ah ha

thanks Pzatch and iphitus for confirming this - I feel better now! I ended up in this thread following on from a linkl within in a Harware forum thread - I'm actually using the terrible speedtouch 33O (as oppossed to 550) which doesn't have a port for an ethernet cable :wall:

I will overcome the 330 - thanks to an earlier reply from iphitus, I have at least managed to make a connection in mdk10CE (though it runs very slow) and Shorewall does not work :cry::cry:

I'm considering either getting a modem-router to dump the speedtouch or using an old box and installing the Smootwall firewall - using the speedtouch. If I go for the latter option, does anyone know if i'll face similar mountains to climb? I'm gonna do some research so if needed, I'll start a new thread in a few days or so.

Cheers again.

I will overcome the 330 - thanks to an earlier reply from iphitus, I have at least managed to make a connection in mdk10CE (though it runs very slow) and  Shorewall does not work  :cry:  :cry:

ChrisM - I think to get Shorewall to work with the speedtouch, you have to tweak the config files. If you look in /etc/shorewall/interfaces, you should see an entry for eth0, something like

net     etho     detect

You have to change the eth0 to ppp0, and also put an entry in /etc/shorewall/routestopped for 'ppp0'.

I can't say I've used this, because I stopped using shorewall before I found out about it, but this was the solution for previous versions of Mandrake.

spinynorman,

many thanks for this advise. It's taken an age using this modem, but with the support from people such as yourself; as a newbie I do feel that slowly but surely I'm getting there. I'll try out your suggestions and feedback.

Cheers.