Alcatel Speedtouch530 ADSL USB Modem

AussieJohn

Hi all. I am using Mandrake10

I am now connected to Telstra Bigpond ADSL service. It works AOK on my Win2000 Pro OS. I have downloaded and installed the <speedtouchconf-20-03-2004> software and also made sure that <bc> is also installed. I have followed up on all the available data regarding the new kernel 2.6.3 and made the changes advised.

The program proceeds easily up to the typing in of the VPI and the VCI numbers (obtained from the Windows setup) then the UserID and then the Password. After Typing in Y (for YES) and then ENTER, it proceeds through the rest of the install and then tries to make a connection at the end of which it says it cannot connect.

I have also tried the install while using the kernel 2.4.whatever but still no luck.

Because I installed onto Windows2000 first and noted that during the install, the installer wrote to the Modem I realised the Microcode was written to the Modem.

Therefore I copied the alcaudsl.sys from there in Windows to be used by speedtouchconf as well.

One thing I did notice during the late part of the install was that the program said the LEDs on the Modem would flash for approx 20secs but that did not occur.

Further more, the POWER led, the @ led and the USB led have remained a steady GREEN throughout all of the time.

When I reboot, I get the following on screen;-

Stopping internet connection if needed: N_HDLC: line discipline unregistered

Shutting down ADSL connection:FATAL:Module usbcore is in use

[FAILED]

[FAILED]

Stopping portmap services OK

Shutting down loopback interface OK

Stopping hotplug: ehci_hcd 0000.00.10.4:remove, state 1

usb usb5:USB disconnect, address 1

usb 5-4:USB disconnect, address 2

ehci_hcd 0000.00.10.4:USB bus5 deregitered

usb 2-2:new full speed USB device using address 3

At this stage it freezes and only using the computers' RESET button moves things along.

It seems that I am connected to the internet and yet I am not.

Can anyone from within Australia or for that matter anyone at all got any suggestions??? I hope some might have an answer. I feel almost "dirty" using "Internet Explorer" to send this request, especially after using Mandrake for the past year and a half as my ONLY internet connection.

Cheers

I must apologise to all especially the Moderators. I just realised that I have put this thread in the WRONG category. Sorry for the trouble. I'll get it right eventually. Thanks

Edited by AussieJohn

to load the firmware manually, (as root) type

modem_run -m -f /path/to/alcaudsl.sys

The LEDs should blink in the correct sequence.

now, to manually connect, type "pppd call adsl" as root, and then check /etc/ppp/connect-errors if you can't connect. Your username and password should be in /etc/ppp/pap-secrets and /etc/ppp/chap-secrets.

Also check /etc/ppp/peers/adsl for the correct VPI and VCI numbers.

ifconfig will say if you're connected, there should be a ppp0 interface. Don't setup the Mandrake Firewall, it will prevent you from connecting on anything other than eth0.

Thank you Arthur for your response. Nice and clear and easy to follow (not at all cryptic) for an oldie such as myself to follow. I am in Windows 2000 (puke spit puke) and will now go back into Mandrake 10 to try your and others advice.

I will definately post the results, be they success or failure.

Cheers. John

:wall: thanks john for making contact. :mdk:

Yes sounds the same?

i have successfully in the past been able to connect my ADSL modem with the minimum of fuss this being past versions, but this time i am having no joy.

i too am getting steady led's on microcode load and call pppd

on ifconfig i am getting a reply as if connected

the point of the firewall? how would i see if this is restricting me to a connection only with no data throughput?

i too love linux and hate the fact of having to use win xp to get here

i'd love to run linux 100% of the time BUT

daughter uses m/s os and office at college and so is restricted plus familiar with m/s :cry:

my wife who isnt a computer user in general also has no pre use loves linux, she generally doesnt like computers and so has no opinion or bias toward m/s. :tux: RULES

i really wish everybody felt like us linux users and saw the light. i wish there was a stronger amount of manufacturer support.

anyway thats enough ranting

how are you getting on with this problem? any wiser?

:spam: JUST NO NEED

I was having trouble connecting before...ppp0 was being shown on ifconfig, but I had no access.

I was *^%&^$#! when I realized Mandrake Firewall was blocking everything. Set it to "no firewall" and set the firewall settings manually, the CLI-way. (man iptables)

The default internet access in Mandrake is through the interface eth0, but ADSL modems and dial-up use an interface called ppp0. If you set the firewall to allow certain things in, it will block everything else. And since it assumes you use eth0, ppp0 will be totally blocked.

I wrote a simple script to do everything:

#!/bin/bash
modem_run -m -f alcaudsl.sys
pppd call adsl
sleep 3
ifconfig
iptables -A INPUT -i ppp0 -p tcp --syn -j DROP

This script is only executable by root, but I'm researching alternatives.

Edited by arthur

You will probably need this

http://bpalogin.sourceforge.net/

When you get this internet setup, coukd you please let us know how you did it, as my friend has just signed up for the same service, telstra adsl and has the same modem.

EDIT: Scratch that, i was just reading the FAQ of bpa login

Will BPALogin work for ADSL?

No. ADSL uses a different client that uses PPPoE (Point-to-Point Protocol over Ethernet). There should be plenty of clients available for this well-known standard. Try looking on a search engine like Google. There are no plans to add PPPoE functionality to BPALogin.

Which brings up the question, do you have PPPoE setup properly?

Edited by iphitus

hi, in the firewall set up mentioned is to set up manually?

how is this done? i've used the wizard and set to no firewall, is this good enough?

pppd, ppp0? what is this meaning?

so far i have followed the instructions with tar file i.e.

configure && make......

all installed ok

changed all file indicated obviously changing user name, pass and 0,35 to 0,38 as i'm in uk, and as done in past.

on following instuctions then

loading microcode

call pppd

then ifconfig

steady led's all the time from as soon as half way through boot up

has anyone an alcatel running under mdk 10?

thanks again for your time

Edited by Stevieag

here is a tread i started in networking

Stevieag Posted: Apr 6 2004, 12:08 AM

New Here

Group: Members

Member No.: 4124

Hi, I've set up mdk 9-9.2 with out problems following the tar i downloaded in the past BUT

i am on mdk 10 and i cant set up my usb alcatel speedtouch 330.

i've used the network wizard without joy, i've got mgmt.o and alcatel.sys an a floppy but the program won't pick it up

i've been through the install from the tar as i've successfully done in the past.

i've asked to start the connection at boot. on watching this at first it reported that speedtouch.conf was not in usr/share/speedtouch. i extracted this and placed it as such and now the report is

SIOCDELRT: no such file: no config file

i'm trying to convert full time to linux but this isn't impressing the family?

on install i'm asked for disk 4? where can i get this from? do i need it?

i'm running

xp on 1st ntfs partition of 25GB on master ide1, 5GB fat32 swap area for o/s's on this drive

mdk 10 on slave ide1

dvd rom on ide 2 master

cdr on ide2 slave.

1.3Mhz Athlon t'/bird

256MB sdram

via M/B

anything else important?

in root terminal all comes up o.k.?

________________________________________________________________________________

AussieJohn Posted: Apr 6 2004, 12:58 AM

frequent

Group: Members

Member No.: 2089

This looks remarkably similar to my thread on this matter. Mine is a version 530 ( which may only be the number used for Australian packaging).

Please have a look at my post and leave a comment there as to whether is is the same. It certainly looks like it.

I am sorry I forgot to mention that my post on this subject is in the Installation section by mistake and the moderators do not appear to have moved it yet.

Also sorry to Moderators

This post has been edited by AussieJohn on Apr 6 2004, 02:53 AM

--------------------

The Computer Desktop of the future is already here today.................LinuxMANDRAKE with KDE

JOHN..................(69yrs young)

Registered LINUX user #318452

WOW. And thanks heaps to everyone now buying in to this problem.

So far I have tried everything that has been mentioned by ALL you very kind people but still no success.

I am also still getting the same closing down to reboot message (as shown in my post) which also still requires hitting RESET on the machine to be able to proceed.

I had intended to set up Mandrake 9.2 on a separate partition but this (second) hard drive has decided to give me grief. ( It seems the first 8Gb is stuffed and whether trying to use the Mandrake steamroller or Partition Magic, it continues to show the first 8Gb as used and containing data no mateer how many times it is reformatted......a real pain in the asre {yes, a deliberate mispell}) on top of my 21month old ASUS burner deciding to die. I have just got hold of a new LG burner ( yes I checked that it will be ok in Mandrake 9.2 ) and installed it. Have not used it in Mandrake yet though.

I still keep coming back here to check if anyone has any additional ideas.

LET ME SAY I CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH FOR YOUR WELL DETAILED AND FAIRLY EASY TO FOLLOW SUGGESTIONS. I AM NOW A LITTLE MORE USED TO THE COMMAND LINE BUT I REALLY ONLY MAKE REAL HEADWAY WHEN I AM IN THE GUI ARENA. SO THANKS A MILLION

God how I hate this Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. It really is s**t

Arthur, I will go and try your recent suggestion now and see how we go

Cheers

HI ALL

i have placed this here as i was stuck as to script use

thought that if any other are the same it may help

hi, i saw your reply in a thread re 330 alcatel speedtouch

you mentioned script to help?

how would i use this?

Thanks for you help

fire up your favourite text editor, and type in the script. Save it as whatever.sh. go to terminal, type

chmod +x whatever.sh

and to use it, as root, type:

./whatever.sh

to test the connection type "ping -c 3 www.yahoo.com" or whatever website you want.

i'm going to give it a go

i'll report back

WOW.  And thanks heaps to everyone now buying in to this problem.

So far I have tried everything that has been mentioned by ALL you very kind people but still no success.

I am also still getting the same closing down to reboot message (as shown in my post) which also still requires hitting RESET on the machine to be able to proceed.

I had intended to set up Mandrake 9.2 on a separate partition but this (second) hard drive has decided to give me grief. ( It seems the first 8Gb is stuffed and whether trying to use the Mandrake steamroller or Partition Magic, it continues to show the first 8Gb as used and containing data no mateer how many times it is reformatted......a real pain in the asre {yes, a deliberate mispell}) on top of my 21month old ASUS burner deciding to die.  I have just got hold of a new LG burner ( yes I checked that it will be ok in Mandrake 9.2 ) and installed it. Have not used it in Mandrake yet though.

I still keep coming back here to check if anyone has any additional ideas.

LET ME SAY I CANNOT THANK YOU ALL ENOUGH FOR YOUR WELL DETAILED AND FAIRLY EASY TO FOLLOW SUGGESTIONS.  I AM NOW A LITTLE MORE USED TO THE COMMAND LINE BUT I REALLY ONLY MAKE REAL HEADWAY WHEN I AM IN THE GUI ARENA.  SO THANKS A MILLION

God how I hate this Internet Explorer and Outlook Express. It really is s**t

Arthur, I will go and try your recent suggestion now and see how we go

Cheers

ADSL uses PPPoE - have you got this setup correctly?

tried script

i had no joy

keeps telling me that etc/peers/adsl does not exist

it does i can see it

tried all i can think of to no evale

rename, same

cd to folder still no

rewrite, nooo

other errors i forgot to write down but will

am i right? i read somewhere that at present adsl is only available as PPPoA at moment on mdk 10. prob mistaken but think i read this on one of the hundreds of threads i have read.

yow

i've downloaded:- ppp-2.4.1-9mdk.src.rpm and

speedtouch-1.2-1mdk.i586.rpm

run these and now my modem is responding

seems to do as should (flashes, flashes and steady)and connect but not

could any one tell me a good way of recording all that is shown during boot up?

this is where an error is shown when connecting. way too much to remember and/or type

starts

checking internet connections to start at boot

Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000004

*pde=00000000

Oops:0000 [#1]

CPU:0

EIP: 0060: [<d0d5b232>] Not taintedVLI

E Flags:00010246

EIP: is at _crc_usb_hcd_irq+0x814ddd6/0x815192e [usbcore]

and so on

feel i'm getting some where

if i don't start winning soon will resort to re-install with final mdk10 when available!!

any one know when??

• 1 month later...

Happy day to me. Happy day to me. Happy day to me. Happy day to me. :g-balloon::b-balloon::r-balloon:

At last thanks to an earlier hint by iphitus, about 6hrs ago I took a gamble and connected the modem by LAN instead of USB . Followed through into MCC and did the setup run. Had a couple of little hiccups along the way but solved those AOK. It is now so sweet to be posting this from WITHIN Mandrake10 Official Edition. :thumbs::thumbs:

I am pretty tired at the moment but I solemnly promise that I will post a fully detailed HowTo step by step within the next 24hrs.

I will say this now to EVERYONE who has an Alcatel Speedtouch in Australia and it probably applies to others around the world with similar models.....DUMP the USB and use the LAN connection. Most modern Mainboards have onboard LAN so it should not be a problem there but others may need to buy a LAN card. I am not certain but I think they are not very expensive. What I am certain of though is that ADSL via USB is a disaster with Mandrake regardless of the fact that a few people have got it to work.

How does my face look at the Moment ? :D :D

A million thank yous' to EVERYONE who so graciously gave of their time and knowledge in an attempt to solve what has been a long running problem. :luv::luv: