Yesterday sound, Today no sound

Guest BooYah

I finally got my sound working yesterday. All my channels were muted on kmix. However, today when I try to run Kmix, all I get is blank window. Additionally, yesterday I had added Kmix to the toolbar, but today I've got a button that says "Select Mixer." I tried to select a mixer, but there's no chocies in the drop down menu, it's just blank and I can't type anything. What happened??

lsmod gives me this:

snd-maestro3 12812 0 (unused)

snd-pcm 55808 0 [snd-maestro3]

snd-timer 9964 0 [snd-pcm]

snd-ac97-codec 25508 0 [snd-maestro3]

snd 24804 0 [snd-maestro3 snd-pcm snd-timer snd-ac97-codec]

soundcore 3780 0 [snd]

<depmod -A> <depmod snd-maestro3> and <modprobe snd-maestro3> give me nothing (which means no errors, right?) lsmod after those commands still lists snd-maestro3 as unused.

Thanks for the help

You probably want to disable ARTS from loading on startup. Go into the Sound server configuration applet and de-select ARTS from running at start-up. You'll then get sound in your otehr apps. In Linux, when a process captures a device, it does it exclusively for the most part. ARTS is not 100% at playing with the various apps that want to capture the sound card.

I've looked around and don't see any sound configuration applet where I can disable ARTS. sndconfig gives me this error, after it correctly detects my soundcard and tries to play a sample sound:

The following error occurred running the modprobe program:

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/maestro3.o.

gz: init_module: No such device

modprobe: insmod

/lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/maestro3.o.

gz failed

modprobe: insmod sound-slot-0 failed

Try launching a console shell and doing an su to root.

Once there launch sndconfig and see if it can detect your sound device. If it can great, you are half-way there. It may be possible to fix the problem with some tricky edits to a configuration file.

One other thing it could be is that if you had your channels muted, but did not have your window manager set to use the settings from shutdown on the next session, then your channels will come up muted again.

That's exactly what happened. I'd been shutting down by using the halt command as root (to imaptient to log out, then shutdown), and my user session didn't get saved.

Today, Kmix worked properly, and I logged out and saved my session. Everything is good now, although I'm not sure what I did.

I think I'll leave well enough alone, and not bother with sndconfig anymore. Though I'm still clueless as to way it can detect my card but can't play a sample sound.

Anyways, thanks for your help!

BooYah!

Well, that lasted a day. Now, back to square one-no sound, and kmix is just a blank window.

sndconfig still does the samething and gives me the same error messages. Despite what the messages say, snd-maestro3.o.gz does exist in /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/drivers/sound/ it's also in /lib/modules/2.4.19-16mdk/kernel/sound/pci/

modules.conf looks like this:

alias sound-slot-0 maestro3

Well, hell. I just tried to cut and paste my modules.conf file in emacs, and my computer beeped at me. I don't get it???!!!! Suddenly, for no reason, I now have sound, again. What's going on?