How to maintain stability?

Valavien

I have been working on my Mandrake 9.2 system after many reinstalls and I must say it's great fun. But it doesn't seem to be as stable as I expected. So I must be doing something wrong. Is it a good idea to get the latest version of everything all of the time, do the numbers designate a stable version or anything? I also thought that joining Mandrake Club and getting the RPM's directly from there would be the best idea and just stick to what they release and to support mandrake of course :D

Ok here are my hardware specs and what I have done:

Duron 1300

512mb ram

64mb geforce 4 mx440

SBlive!

6gb for linux

40gb WD with XP (going to get a new drive for my linux install)

My last reinstall was the quickest ever and this is what I put on:

Kernel 2.6-7 i686-up to 4GB

KDE 3.2

Latest nVidia from their site from January.

9.2 had numerous updates, and stability was an issue from the first. You should at least get the updates and bug fixes. The current 10.0ce release has had over 700MB of fixes issued already!!

Yes that's the worry I have about going to 10 CE but I don't mind downloading 700mb worth of stuff if it means that it will work well.

The other thing is that I like using the stuff at KDE-look like KrDocker etc so that sort of thing probably doesn't help.

Edited by Valavien

Well, I had lots of trouble with 10 initially, but now it is very stable and usable. I might even buy it if the commercial release contains the fixes.