libssl.so.4

Andrewski

I've tried to install a few packages in the past, and I'm trying to install Grip now, and I'm getting the problem "unsatisfied libssl.so.4". urpmf libssl.so.4? Nothing. So I searched on rpmfind.net and rpm.pbone.net... nothing. Why doesn't Mandrake use this (seemingly-ubiquitous) file?

I created a symlink from /usr/lib/libssl.so.0.9.7 from the libopenssl0.9.7 package. Still no go. How can I satisfy this?

you're not alone....I've often wondered the same thing.....why? There's fedora/red hat rpms though.....but that's another road to more deps. I got past it once by forcing an unistall (rpm -e --nodeps) of mdk pkg, forcing an install of red hat pkg (rpm -ivh --nodeps), compiling, uninstalling (rpm -e --nodeps) the rh pk, installing the mdk pkg, creating the symlink for the app to use. Hey, it worked. Which is all that matters. ;)

Edited by bvc

I am only going on memory here, but if I remember correctly libssl.so is actually created by the installing of another package that does not have a similar name hence the difficulty in finding it by most means. I too had that problem with Grip some time ago and I seem to remember I found it by opening an rpm version of Grip with, I think it was kpackage and seeing what its dependencies were.

I am going back into Mandrake soon and when I find it I will report back here.

Cheers

The file you are looking for is libopenssl0.9.7 and is on one of the CDROMs of the Mandrake 10 set. Just simply install the rpm by clicking on it and follow the prompts. When you have done, You will find that Grip will have no difficulty finding it.

By rights if you had selected Grip as part of the original install it would have also installed this missing package.

If you didn't do it then but did it later then I fear that is why you you weren't able to find the associated package. If you had used the Mandrake Control Centres Package Manager correctly it would have picked the dependent package for you automatically.

If you are doing a tarball install of Grip then you have to read the install details far more carefully. If it is a tar install I think you will find that the libopenssl package will still meet Grips need.

Please lets us know the results which way and don't leave us guessing.

NOTE. urpmf would not find what you were looking for because it is not an rpm file, it is a small part of an rpm file. In fact nearly all files that are .so files are parts of larger files which may or may not actually be rpm files.

Cheers. John

I am not certain but I think you might be placing too much emphasis on the .4 part of the .so

Edited by AussieJohn

Currently I have a working install of Grip 3.1.4, the one that comes with Mandrake 10. I was trying to install a newer version (3.1.8) when I ran into this problem.

I don't really doubt you, but...

andrew:andrew$ urpmf libssl.so.4
andrew:andrew$ rpm -qa | grep openssl
libopenssl0.9.7-0.9.7c-3mdk
libopenssl0.9.7-devel-0.9.7c-3mdk
openssl-0.9.7c-3mdk

If anyone's putting too much emphasis on the .4 part, it'd be everyone but those who package libopenssl. I'm just trying to fulfill dependencies. And a cursory Google search will show that I'm not the only one in this predicament.

Edited by Andrewski

I am disappointed. You did not make that clear in the beginng to me or anyone else.

What you are saying now is a completely different thing. I could have been using my time to try and find a solution for what is now revealed to be the problem.

As BVC and many others have said time and again, please give us the full story of your problem.

It certainly would have changed things. Your first post gave no indication that you had the regular Grip from Mandrake working and that you were simply trying to do an upgrade.

I was going to try to help find you a solution but I am not going to bother because of your blase attitude.

As I was asking for the existence of a file (mostly) devoid of context, I didn't think it necessary to mention the gross particulars of my problem. Were I having trouble with a Mandrake packaged version (of grip, for instance), I would have made particular mention of it here. After my initial post, bvc understood just fine what I was asking about; from there, I'm not sure what the problem is.