Xine out of Equilibrium

nggalai

Hi there,

being a Christian Bale fanboy, I got the RC1 of "Equilibrium" months ago as an import version (I live in Switzerland, RC2 country). Well, had no problems running the DVD on Windows I was using back then. Yesterday night, I wanted to give me the treat of watching people doing karate/kendo with guns, but no go.

It's the first DVD in my 250+ collection I encountered that simply won't run in Xine. It tries to crack the key, but gives up after 20 tries or so and pops up a "This DVD is probably encrypted. Depending on your countries laws, you can / can't install libdvdcss to watch the disc" and stuff. Well, I am current with libdvdcss, libdvdnav, libdvdread, but still: no go. All other RC1 discs I tried work perfectly, as do all encrypted RC2 discs I own (Hulk, for example, which wouldn't play properly on Windows).

The fun bit: MPlayer plays Equilibirum just fine, apart from it being only stereo.

Has anybody here got Equilibrium running with Xine? I'm talking of the first crop of discs with the bloody stupid "FORGET THE MATRIX!" claim on the bottom. If yes, what specific versions of libdvdcss are you running?

-Sascha.rb

OK, found it--libdvdcss usually works according to what Xine tells the DVD where it's from (i.e. what region code it should assume), but there are a few DVD that ask for validation by the drive itself (on hardware level). I needed to regionset the DVD drive, everything's fine.

Hopefully, that old NEC 5800 won't die on me too early. Has been with me for years, now, and has the nice ability you can flash an alternate firmware that automatically resets the changed-region-count to 4, when changing regions. :devil: So regionset doesn't do me no harm. Yay.

-Sascha.rb