Who is a Big Tightwad?

Dr. Ephemeron

As a paying clubmember since three years, and as such having spent more on Mandrake Linux than on any other software product ever, I have to disagree with the notion that people who will never pay for Mandrake or the club as long as they can dowload it are big tightwads.

I would like to precise that people who will never pay for Mandrake or the club as long as they can dowload it, and do not contribute to GNU/Linux/FLOSS in any other way are big tightwads.

This other contribution can be one or more of the following:

1) creating and maintaining a website to guide people from the dark (MS) to the bright (FLOSS/GNU/Linux) side

2) help with translating Mandrake or other FLOSS

3) help out on this and other boards

4) help friends convert their machines to Linux, or at least dual boot

5) report and vote for bugs on http://qa.mandrakesoft.com

6) contribute to programs by writing code, documentation or howto's

7) anything I missed in the above list that counts as a contribution

On a side note, I do all of the above (yes I am an official Mandrake translator since a short while), does that score me any extra points? :P

I'm a tightwad! :P

I'm gonna buy a powerpack someday...but...seeing how I don't have a job...or even an allowance...I can't really get a membership yet. But I'm planning on it! :P

If someone could tell me how I could contribute, I would...but I can't really program...I've tried converting ppl...but they dont' like it...and I have a website (www.linuxinfo.tk)...but it's got no info really...no one knows about it...and it's main purpose was for my wallpapers, not actual Linux stuff :P

tightwad ;) I'm fairly new to linux...still learning, and the mdk club really doesn't seem to offer me anything I want, that I can't get elsewhere.

Also, while MDK is my distro of choice, 2004 seems it could be the Year of Linux (possibly 2005 maybe?) when you look at up and coming distros like Sun JDS with Looking Glass, Novell's Suse/Ximian KDE/GNOME crossover thing, and of course the one IBM is developing and using at this very moment for company use, and later for public release. Poor MDK seems like it will be left behind once these 3 big dogs release their distros.

I have been buying Powerpacks starting with 7.0! The only one I have skipped was 9.2. I happen to be on a fixed income (social security disability at <$400 per month). I downloaded the public release 10.0 CE 3 CD ISOs to make sure things worked on my NForce2 mobo. I am going to get a copy of the CE poarpack for further testing. I do plan on getting a new Powerpack Subscription, starting with 10.0 Official.

Me a tightwad? Not really. Just a very tight budget. :D

Sun has a very confusing linux/FLOSS 'strategy', and looking glass is really not that renewing -- besides, it is based on GPL so they will have to release the code - no reason Mandrake couldn't add this. JDesktop is a worked over SUSE gnome...

Basically, SUN and IBM will not cater the home user.

The only one that is really a competitor to Mandrake is SUSE, especially since it recently was decided that YAST should be GPL.

They are the only two big commercial GPL Linux systems that focus (not entirely but at least partially) on the home user desktop.

All others doing linux help by giving it more credibility and momentum, this leads to more compatible hardware and more commercial software.