Installing Mandrake and Gentoo

chris-tux

hi all,

I have mdk 9.2 running with lilo (waiting for switching to mdk 10.0 because mdk 10.0 ce upgrade says my hda partition is wrong and wants to perform its own partionning..arggh...).

My question is who can give advices on how installing gentoo leaving mdk as it is and switching from one to one with lilo ?

Basic question, I'm afraid but I don't want to fire out what's working fine :unsure:

TIA

chris

If you add a new set of partitions for gentoo - perhaps: / & /home then you can share the /boot and swap partitions. (I think I'm right about the swap anyway)

Then you install your gentoo kernel into boot and point lilo to both the gentoo kernel and the mdk one. You will then be presented the option of which to boot into

You might find this entire thread a good in-depth tutorial on installing Gentoo on the same hard drive from a working Mandrake installation. It probably addresses any possible question or misunderstanding you might encounter, because I certainly had a lot of them!

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...5877&highlight=

Puggy and Neje really helped me do my first Gentoo install with this method, walking me through the entire process. Basically, you just boot into your mandrake, and chroot over to the partitions you wish to install Gentoo on. I shared my Mandrake /boot and swap partitions with Gentoo, with lilo as the bootloader- worked fine.

I hope it helps you avoid this: :wall:

Good Luck,

wrc1944

phunni is correct, you can share /boot and swap.

You'll find the thread link below a good in-depth tutorial on installing Gentoo on the same hard drive, from a working Mandrake installation. It probably addresses any possible question or misunderstanding you might encounter, because I certainly had a lot of them!

http://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=6...5877&highlight=

Puggy and Neje really helped me do my first Gentoo install with this method, walking me through the entire process step by step. My main problems arose because I'm on dialup, and the Install Doc didn't address many things I was running into, and I lacked the basic Linux experience to recognize the obvious solutions.

Basically, you just boot into your mandrake, and chroot over to the partitions you wish to install Gentoo on. I shared my Mandrake /boot and swap partitions with Gentoo, with lilo as the bootloader- worked fine.

I hope it helps you avoid this: :wall:

Good Luck,

wrc1944