MNF - Webadmin with IE

Feldrin

did you read through the threads that mentioned the MNF/IE pesonality issue? the answer was spelled out pretty clearly.

i noticed your other post that complained about the password expirations, where you mentioned that they answer wasn't in the threads. you may want to re-read the MNF threads, as the answer is there. you must have just skipped some of the threads.

eventually, you will come to realize that the download version of MNF is crippleware and that you're better off not wasting your time with it.

I searched again and found answers this time, thanks ! :-)

This thread was very useful : http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...t=0entry11633

I'm indeed a bit worried about all the problems found in the MNF. Since I'm not a Linux expert it may be (and probably is) due to some lack of knowledge from me anyway...However if configuring a proper MNF is so tough, I may switch to a minimal Red Hat install...

Or maybe you can advise me another dsitribution ? What I need to do is to setup 2 firewall, one in my company and the other for the customer. I'll create a VPN between them to be able to remotely connect (via VNC) to my customer's server. I thought the MNF would be a perfect choice for my needs....

thanks for your answer

some people noted problems with MNF's webmin having "personality issues" with internet explorer. reportedly, these problems don't occur with netscape.

in comparison, i had no problems with Konqueror under MDK 9.2 or IE under 98/2000/XP, then all of a sudden everything just "broke." i could not access the webmin from any of the systems on the LAN. this problem was discussed in the "cookies not found" thread and appears to be caused by a time-synchronization problem between the machine running MNF and the webmin client.

reportedly, if the system clocks are off by more than an hour the MNF system won't log on the admin.

this can be a real problem, as MNF's installation routines are very deficient in allowing the configuration of different time zones, and it doesn't allow you the option of setting the hardware clock to local time or Zulu.

unlike Mandrake 9.2, which allowed very flexible system clock configuration, when MNF determined i was in the USA it automatically set my time zone to ET and created a configuration that conflicted with clock settings on other PCs in the network which reside in the CT zone. this "feature" of defaulting to ET and ignoring local versus Zulu hardware clocks makes it very easy to have mutually exclusive clock configurations on different machines on the LAN that will torpedo the MNF's wembin functinoality. this feature is poorly documented or purposefully undocumented in the download release of MNF.

in regard to your firewall question, my recommendation would be to give up hope on the idea of getting a turnkey installation that doesn't cost anything. if the commercial release of MNF works as advertised, it offers a turnkey solution at a rather exhorbitant price. my guess is that they don't sell many MNF packages. if they did, maybe they would spend more time on it updating the package to that its built upon a different kernel.

my personal recommendation for a firewall package is to roll your own. unfortunately, there's no way around getting into the depths of linux to set up a firewall, so even if youi choose a "free" option you end up paying for it with your time.

if you want as simple an installation as possible that is robust and reliable and zero cost, my personal choice is FreeBSD. when I first configured my system I googled the string "FreeBSD firewall" and found a tutuorial page with sample configuration files. all things considered, that was alot more helpful from just starting off with a clean slate. don't forget to read the Firewall How-To at TLDP. there's lots of good info there.

best of luck.

bob

• 1 month later...
Guest sean_dunlop

NO problem here using latest IE

Active directory NTP used on all systems involved - although no problems prior to time sync (perhaps bios time was close enuff?)