Undelete vfat

Cannonfodder

I have a media partition, hdc9, that is a fat32 partition. Because I have an alias

alias media='cd /mnt/media'

and typed

rm -f media (was removing another folder called media)

It deleted all the files in my media partition.

I've spent the evening trying to find a way to restore these files. I need something that will start at the root and undelete everything. I haven't made any further changes to the partition by adding/deleting files.

I tried using winxp, figuring there is a tool I could use, but for some reason, it won't see the media partition (win2k could). This means it must be a linux solution.

I tried mundelete (sourceforge) but it didn't do anything I could detect and didn't explain why. I am downloading a Emergency Boot CD containing Norton Undelete. But I don't think it will find the media partition either. Hopefully I am wrong :(

Any ideas or anyone know how to get this back? :furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3::furious3:

bvc, this is a file delete, not a partition delete, get glasses (j/k) :)

I'll try the Emergency boot and see if it works. Problem may be that the partition will not be accessable due to its unusual location hdc9 in a linux extended partition. Will see what happens :)

Oh, k, well, your thread title has vfat in it which implies partition. Sorry! You wanted me to read your post?

So anything work yet? Norton? I used that in win98 to undelete files and it worked great.

been airheaded the past couple of days becasue of a new chemical at work and a broken exhaust fan. They're killing me here :help:

Edited by bvc

lol :) Take all your clothes off and then go to work and claim that you didn't realize it due to the broken fan and chemicals :)

I can't try Norton undelete on this partition because no win utility will locate it. Due to a weird partition table. Winxp sees it but won't mount it.. Just got a cpy of Partition Magic but whoever made an iso used Ez Creator and I can't read the iso image. Hasn't been my week at all, nope nope nope..