Mdk Bug reporting / voting

ericdavis100

I am sure it is me, but I can make no sense of qa.mandrake.com so that I can post or check bugs.

I want to report or vote on a bug that makes a HP PSC 1200/1350 or similar printer unusable. The printer worked correctly in 9.2 but just ejects garbage in 10CE. From a posting here I learned that by installing the 2.4 kernel (or other trick - thank you VeeDubb) you can get the printer working. Rather than a trick I would like to get the bug out.

Has anyone written a step by step instruction or example for using qa.mandrake.com? When I go there I am generally just confused. My searches suggest that the bug is not currently being tracked but then again I am not sure I am using the bug search correctly.

On the other hand, I am the sort of person who is easily confused by a phone book. I am constantly looking up "car repair" when what I really want is "automotive maintenance".

Also, "Zarro Boogs found." is not a helpful answer for an inquiry. I am confused enough by linux half the time. After doing two or three searches I finally was sure they meant "no bugs reported" but until then I wasn't sure if it was a "foo" type thing.

Are you trying to file a bug report? If so, there is a link on the http://qa.mandrakesoft.com page that says Enter a new bug (2nd one down in the list)

I think you actually have to go back in and vote for the bug before it gets noticed, but I'm not sure. You do have to register, but it will only send you emails when someone responds or adds new information to your bug report.

Oh, and btw, in case you didn't get my pm; I deleted your duplicate post :P

I personally find bugzilla not practical at all notably the search engine.

Yesterday I spent half an hour just to see if a little bug on RpmDrake (the hourglass mouse pointer (a clock) that is not displayed correctly), but I couldn't find it. But I would be surprised if it was not already reported. Ok I'm not experienced with bugzilla but half an hour for no result is way too much. Why don't they use a search engine a la google ?

I work in a company that makes software (M$ Win :( ) In my experience, noobies are very good to find bug (with experienced people it always work or the bug is so easy for them to turn around that they don't even notice). So better make it friendly for noobies imho.

I usually have success to find bugs, make sure on the search page you select not only new, unconfirmed, .. but all the types available.

Chances are things are already fixed.

I agree, a short description is in order, maybe in the tips and tricks section?

Also: "Zarro Boogs found." really annoyed me, since that was the answer on all searches, before I realised I had to search for all bug types..

Note that you can also search the cookerlist:

http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=mandrake-cooker

Some bugs and other things are discussed outside of the qa.mdk site, but everything that gets mentioned/added to qa shows up there.

Well I'm sure it's usable. But the first impression is that it's not practical. I find an embedded google search engine like wikipedia do would be much better. Well I know easier to ask than to do :juggle:

Also:  "Zarro Boogs found." really annoyed me, since that was the answer on all searches, before I realised I had to search for all bug types..

:D yeah this message was getting on my nerves too.

edit: thanks for the link. look interesting. wow 5415 post for this month ! they can deal with all that ?

Edited by roland