Super NooB here: how do I allow each user to have there own

Guest Ezekiel

Guest Ezekiel

Hi, not sure where I sould have pssted this. I am super new to linux also, but learn quickly.

OK I have installed Mandrake 9. I want to enable my test users to have personal web space that they could access, I have figure out that I need to put a Public_html folder in the etc/skel So that each user automatically gets a Public_html folder.. But that;s pretty much all I have so far..What else do I need to do? This is probably an idiotic question but.....just learning here... To over simplify, I ouwld like each user to be able to log in via ftp and upload there files to a directory and access their website like this www.mydomain.com/~username

Thx for any advice/help in advance

Ezekiel :?: :wink:

Basically, I think you've got it. But be carefull because in Linux, case matters in file names. So it should be public_html, not Public_html.

Anyway, you can change this name in one of Apache's configuration files. All those files are in /etc/httpd/ I think. find the one which says "public_html" (tip: execute in the good directory: grep -i -r "public_html" * ) and change to the value you want (eg: my_webfiles or Public.html or...)

Yves.

Guest Ezekiel

Thank-you, I think I'm slowly getting it..Well...maybe hehe.

How do I make it so that wehn a user logs in via ftp they cam only access there public_html folder and nothing else?

Thank-you, I think I'm slowly getting it..Well...maybe hehe.

How do I make it so that wehn a user logs in via ftp they cam only access there public_html folder and nothing else?

There is a tutorial about that here: http://tuxbox.by-a.com/proftpd-howto/