Kernel Panic on 8.1 install

Guest rob8

Hi All:

When trying to install Mdk 8.1, and booting from the CD, the install procedes for about 2 seconds and ends up with these messages:

CPU 0: Machine check exception 0000000000000007

Bank3b40000000000083b at 340000000000083b

Kernel Panic

That's as far as it goes. Changing timings for the memory in the BIOS has no effect. Windows 2000 and XP have run fine on this machine in the past, with the same hardware and settings. Any thoughts on this? I'm using a 900MHz Duron, 128 MB DDR, and an FIC mainboard.

Guest joehill

I'm gonna take a wild guess and point to the combination of a relatively new system and a pretty old OS? I know 8.1 isn't as old as say Win98, but if I am not mistaken it predates the widespread availability of DDR.

Anyway, I suspect that if you tried 8.2 or even 9.0 you would have a better result. Do you have easy access to the ISOs, or are big downloads a problem?

Cheers,

J.

You may be right! I found that if I pass the message LINUX NOMCE to the kernel, the install procedes normally, but then it doesn't know what to do with the video card (ATI Radeon 7500), and installs a framebuffer. Then, when I try to boot into the system, same old thing......kernal panic. I want to try Mandrake 9, but I'm stuck with a slower than mud dialup connection, so a download of the ISO is out of the question.

NOMCE means no mouse, right? It's strange that that helps. But, I agree with you, I think the hardware is too recent for 8.1

Guest joehill

dialup? i thought that was outlawed as cruel and unusual punishment!

jeez, man, if it means one more Linux user, I'll mail ya the CDs.

seriously.

or, if you have 50 bucks burning a hole in yer pocket...

I'm sure many would say insane, and yes I love MDK, but I was asleep???...why not do something productive while you sleep? I had already purchased boxed 7.2 and 8.1 and had been unemployed for a while and didn't want to wait til I had the extra money, so I figured, why do it while I'm awake and stare at the computer?.. I'd it while asleep...works for me :P

for what it's worth: two weeks ago I got a 3 disk set of RH8.0 & Mdk 9.0 for $5.00 each.

if you know any hams in your area, check with them about "hamfests"....that's where I got my new upgrades.....there was a guy there burning just about anything you wanted....took 20 minutes and $5.00 a set....wish now, I had gotten a set of everything he had available.....never know....

Jim, KU4VE