URGENT: FAT32 - File recovery from Linux

iphitus

Hey guys

My friend dual boots Windows and Linux and has all his data on a FAT32 partition.

He got infected with a virus in Windows and the virus scanner wiped ALL the files from all the partitions accessible by Windows, just the files, not the folders. He said it happened very quickly so i assume it hasnt been overwritten. He hasnt written to the partition since then, he has only read it from Linux. The filesystem seems to be fine, there have been no errors reading.

I am looking for a free Linux app or a DOS app to undelete the files from a FAT32 partition.

I have googled my brains out and found nothing. Most stuff needs to be paid -- we dont have the money -- for or is Windows GUI (really f*ckin usefull when you dont have a GUI).

He needs to get a handful of vital pieces of schoolwork that he has worked on since last backup

Also, if you see my brains somewhere on google please mail it to iphitusau [AT] yahoo.com.au Same applies for sanity

Thankyou

iphitus

i've heard (read) some good things about the aboved link (Tiramisu).........but.......

the free download trial version of that is basically "teaseware". from what i've read, the free download will tell you if the recovery is actually possible, then if possible, let you recover 5 files. that may be enough for your friends needs, iphitus.......maybe not.

in a nut shell, any type of data recovery from a crippled disc is gonna cost money, & lots of it, either from a professional data recovery service or from an app that you can buy to do the job.

back up, back up, back up, & keep the anti virus up to date if you use Windows.

Chris