kernel not booting (just need some general info)

Guest augustwest

Guest augustwest

in general what is needed for a kernel to boot? im sure my problem is something simple that im just overlooking cause isnt my first kernel config or anything. im trying to get 2.4.20-rc2-ac3 to boot with mandrake 9.0 with acpi and amd power now! support. any gereral info that might help clear up my brain would be wonderful. or if there is some known problems with this kernel that im overlooking let me know. also if there is a cooker kernel that has acpi support and amd power now! support let me know :idea:

http://mdkxp.by-a.com/htm/tutorials/mdkkernel.php This says it all. If you're not doing make install, then

/usr/src/linux/System.map, and .config need to be copied to /boot as a version.

System.map-2.4.20-rc2-ac3 or whatever you decide

config-2.4.20-rc2-ac3 or whatever you decide

you need to copy

cp arch/i386/boot/bzImage to /boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-rc2-ac3 or whatever you decide

You need to

mkinitrd /boot/initrd-2.4.20-rc2-ac3.img 2.4.20-rc2-ac3

see man mkinitrd

Then edit grub

title linux-2.4.20-rc2-ac3

kernel (hd?,?)/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.20-rc2-ac3 root=/dev/hda1 devfs=mount hdd=ide-scsi

initrd (hd?,?)/boot/initrd-2.4.20-rc2-ac3.img

(cant get bbcode or html to work in my sigi, i have both enabled? whats with that?)

If you have Yes for "Always allow BBCode:" in your profile, then pm cannonfodder or paul http://www.mandrakeusers.org/groupcp.php?g...1258cbc637cdfdb