Using Mandrake Update

Counterspy

Last night I bit the bullet and decided to run Mandrake Update and checked off about 250 Mb. of programs. After downloading them all I found that the refused to install due to invalid signatures and the whole update was aborted. Needless to say, I was more than unhappy and was on the virge of screaming Mandrake failure when I decided to try downloading just a few at a time and lo and behold this worked with all but two, initscripts and menu. There may be others depending on what you have installed. I went to a cooker mirror and downloaded the two errant programs to my desktop and installed from there. So it seems that there is a bug in update that one bad signature will trash the whole update. So doing it in steps takes a little longer but it works.

Counterspy

Last night I bit the bullet and decided to run Mandrake Update and checked off about 250 Mb. of programs.  After downloading them all I found that the refused to install due to invalid signatures and the whole update was aborted.  Needless to say, I was more than unhappy and was on the virge of screaming Mandrake failure when I decided to try downloading just a few at a time and lo and behold this worked with all but two, initscripts and menu.  There may be others depending on what you have installed.  I went to a cooker mirror and downloaded the two errant programs to my desktop and installed from there.  So it seems that there is a bug in update that one bad signature will trash the whole update.  So doing it in steps takes a little longer but it works. 

Counterspy

If you update signatures in gpg before running the update you won't run in to this... unfortunatly there is nothing to automate this task at this time.

Search http://www.mandrakesecure.net/en/cks/ for the latest key (search for mandrake)

You'll find the keys for mandrakesoft:

0x9B4A4024 DSA/1024 Thu Jan 6 19:24:59 2000

Fingerprint: 63A2 8CBD A7A8 387E 1A53 2C1E 59E7 0DEE 9B4A 4024

User ID: MandrakeSoft (MandrakeSoft official keys) <mandrake@mandrakesoft.com>

For cooker

Key ID Algorithm/Size Creation Time

0x26752624 DSA/1024 Wed Dec 10 17:54:02 2003

Fingerprint: 2C7F 7E0E 6B23 D314 89AC 4CCD DD68 4D7A 2675 2624

User ID: MandrakeCooker <cooker@linux-mandrake.com>

For Security

Key ID Algorithm/Size Creation Time

0x22458A98 DSA/1024 Mon Jul 10 17:12:30 2000

Fingerprint: BB73 7822 CB91 B327 2191 68CC 9AA8 D0D0 2245 8A98

User ID: Linux Mandrake Security Team <security@linux-mandrake.com>

User ID: Mandrake Linux Security Team <security@mandrakesoft.com>

To update type

gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.mandrakesecure.net [keyid]

to update mandrakesoft you would type

gpg --recv-keys --keyserver www.mandrakesecure.net 0x9B4A4024

If you get errors about the sig does not match do not install the package!

Which version of Mandrake? I have been wrestling with 10ce, and have had no difficulties downloading the 600mb of updates in the past week!

Version 10.0 CE indeed. Got a whole bunch of bad signature errors + curl errors.

What is the update source you are using?

I think it is source dependant (if they are in synch or not maybe).

Thanks for letting me know,

Sitor

I had bad signature, but looking carefully at the message it said: can't open file. The file just didn't existed on the mirror. What surprised me for this release is that the mirror I used to use was not there anymore, that all the other french one I tried (only 2 ??) were bad. The dutch mirror saved me :thumbs: but I don't understand what happen with those mirrors. That was fine with previous release.

I had bad signature, but looking carefully at the message it said: can't open file. The file just didn't existed on the mirror. What surprised me for this release is that the mirror I used to use was not there anymore, that all the other french one I tried (only 2 ??) were bad. The dutch mirror saved me  :thumbs:  but I don't understand what happen with those mirrors. That was fine with previous release.

If the package has been updated, the old one won't be there any more. If the error is that the file isn't there... the thing to do to fix this would be to update your urpmi source before updating.

Well wadujunow,

Tried again this evening with exactly the same source in the same way and this time it worked. I can only assume that last time the FTP site was overloaded or being updated or something.

There was just an incompatibility, which required me to uninstall kdetoys first. After that everyting installed fine.

Ciao,

Sitor

There was a comment somewhere that said that German sites were more reliable so I used one of those. The issue of two errant signatures crashing the whole update is not addressed by having updated keys. Doing the update in pieces established that out of all of the programs two had bad keys and both were Mandrakesoft programs. I have run into this key problem numerous times in updating my collection of distros. I run fairly tight security on each and have not had any adverse consequences. The point is well taken though, that programs with bad signatures should not be downloaded. The problem is that many sites do not have the method of updating as clear as what was posted above. This is an elaborate explanation and it applied to Mandrakesoft itself. Are these instructions on the site? Are they on other sites commonly used and are they updated in similar fashion? The update method is hardly one that is easy for new users to understand. There is a fundamental security issue left unaddressed in this discussion and that is that the sites, like Texstar for example, should have it displayed prominently that 1. You should use the keys and 2. This is how.

Counterspy

If the package has been updated, the old one won't be there any more. If the error is that the file isn't there... the thing to do to fix this would be to update your urpmi source before updating.

The files appeared on RpmDrake but were not on the mirror. :blink:

I couldn't do a lot of upgrade because of dependency with those 2 files, I don't remember the name.

When I connected on the dutch mirror, I upgraded only those 2 file first and then everything went fine. I don't know exactly what the problem is but I'm quite sure it didn't come from my box.

Hello, all!

For the past week, I've been using Mandrake 10.0 Community on our home's main PC. Been working well.... until this morning.

I attempted to do an update of my files with Mandrake Update. I chose one of the repositories in France as my update source and everything seemed to have worked as it should have. There were 158 files to download, but I got them all without a hitch. Then the install came. It seemed to have worked, too. I was quite pleased.

However, I decided to log out of my KDE session (made breakfast for the wife) but the system didn't log me off cleanly. The screen went black and stayed that way for quite a while (I gave it almost 10 minutes). I decided press my PC's restart button, and when the system came up again I got to a command line to log in and that was it. I tried to "StartX" and got nothing. I logged in as root and saw that several system files were gone.

All in all, I got the system back up, but I had to re-iinstall from the CDs. Something obviously went terribly wrong with the update. I know that we're still at "cooker" phase with 10.0, but if a newbie ever did this (and Mandrake 10.0 was their first experience with Linux), it certainly wouldn't inspire any confidence in Mandrake as a viable OS. I was given no information that something like this was in danger of happening... not from Mandrake Update.

Anyone have a clue as to what did/could have happened?

:o

I got the same thing after the update. Took me over a week to finally get it updated cause it took that long to figure out how to get it to work with out the bad signatures.

The updates changed the settings and did not start KDE automatically...all I had was command prompt blinking at me mocking with "so what are you going to do now you newbie" :help:

Logged in as user and remembered that startx was supposed to get me out of this jam. Tried startx but it just said something about command not recognized. :furious3:

Logged in as root and then the startx worked (after it cautioned me that it was not a good idea). I went to the boot settings and checked the box to log me in as user automatically. Now it works like it used to, but as a newb it was pretty scarry there for a bit.