Learning java

Guest pipplo

Guest pipplo

I want to learn java (I'm good with c++ already), but I have no idea where to begin here. I had java beans installed in my winxp box, but I dont' know what packages to install to give me a compiler, or an ide or anything.

Any help guys?

Thanks

First step is to go to http://www.javasoft.com and download the java 1.4.2 sdk. This will give you all the things you need for compiling java code. As for an IDE, skip it if you are just learning. However, if you insist, here are some that I would recommend.

jEdit

Netbeans

Eclipse

(I have not actually tested those URLs, they are simply from memory)

As for learning Java, check out the same site above - www.javasoft.com - for some tutorials. They have tutorials on just about every aspect of Java. Also, check out Beginning Java By Wrox. This is an excellent book for learning Java.

Guest pipplo

I got the java sdk.. and installed the rpm.. however everything went to /usr/java..

so How can i add /usr/java to my path globally? I keep forgetting these basic things..

What about kaffe? It's included in the install cds...looks to be some kind of jvm alternative to the j2sdk

Don't use Kaffe - it's very out of date in terms of the classes and libraries it supports.

Always use either blackdown (open source linux port of the JDK) or Sun's JDK - the latter being the faster.

I can't remember how to edit global environment variables in Mandrake but if you add:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/java
PATH=$PATH:$JAVA_HOME

to the .bashrc file in your home directory.

This will add Java to the path in any terminal you open

Dietel's Java how to program is a good book too but rather incomplete when you need details about the various methods. Java in a nutshell O'Reilly is a reasonable reference if you can understand it's sometimes cryptic format.

IDE

Try Borlands Foundation X it's free though you have to register it and you can get it for Windows too if you like....

Bit of a memory hog - but good.

As far as IDEs go - I would personally recommend Eclipse. Although I would even more strongly recommend (as a professional Java trainer) that you use a text editor and the command line until you've got a handle on Java syntax. Otherwise it'll make it harder to learn by doing too much for you