Move command

hbob

I'm new to all this, I tried to move a file using the command as su

mv /home/username/tmp/name of file.mdk.i586.rpm /user/src/RPM/RPMS/i586

Now I checked and the file I want to move which is j2re-1.4.2_01-1mdk.i586.rpm

is there.

And the location user/src/RPM/RPMS/i586 is there.

But I get a "can not start"

I found the unpacked files in user/java/ folder and I tried to move just those file and that command failed.

Then I tried installing flash player and that also failed

"can not install flash 6.0"

Mandrake ID's both flashplayer and realplayer as unknown players

With the move (mv) command comes a lot of different options (flags). With the command mv --help you can see most (all? I don't know) of the possibilities.

With <Tab> complete the chance that you will make a typo is minimal.

So what you should do is: after tmp/j2 tick <Tab> and if the name of the package appears it is really there. Then /usr (not user)/etc etc. (if not sure just tick <Tab>. if the folder exists the name will appear, if not, not :) )

Good luck

(for a list of commands go here)

Edited by devries

I would guess that the message you got from mv (it was from mv, wasn't it?) was "cannot stat ...". That's 'stat', not 'start', as in stat(2), one of the linux/unix system calls. (There is also a stat(1) program). The stat system call returns information (statistics) about the requested file and mv uses that information in moving files.

If a program gets this error, it means that either the file doesn't exist, or you don't have permission to access the file or you don't have "search" permission on one or more of the directories on the path to the file (seach permission is noted by an "x" when you ls(1) a directory). So, you need to check all of these things to see what's not right.

BTW, since your new to this, when you see someone reference a command as stat(1), stat(2), it means see section(1) or section(2) of the man pages, or more practically, type:

man 2 stat

at the command line.

Good Luck.