Setting Hostname in ML 10.0 CE

NeoXP

I had the same problem. Load the tool updates, remove the nic, add it back in, and enter your host name. That's how I fixed it using gui. :cheesy:

Guest pipplo

You can change your host name by adding the command

hostname yourhostnamehere

in the top of your rc.local file, should be in /etc/rc.d/ directory

?? Don't do anything in /etc/rc.local, just adapt the file: /etc/hosts and you're done. You have to logout and back in to see the changes, naturally you can do that by doing

su

in konsole.

Isnt that gone though on a reboot? Not that any of us reboot that much mind you. I'm not on 10 yet but I assume the process is the same. Edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file so it has a line saying HOSTNAME="hostname here"

then restart the network.

That should change your hosname and keep it when you reboot for whatever reason.

You can change your host name by adding the command

CODE 

hostname yourhostnamehere

in the top of your rc.local file, should be in /etc/rc.d/ directory

Thxs Pipplo this works for me!

[edit] typo [/edit]

Edited by NeoXP

Guest pipplo
?? Don't do anything in /etc/rc.local, just adapt the file: /etc/hosts and you're done. You have to logout and back in to see the changes, naturally you can do that by doing

su

in konsole.

Isnt that gone though on a reboot? Not that any of us reboot that much mind you. I'm not on 10 yet but I assume the process is the same. Edit the /etc/sysconfig/network file so it has a line saying HOSTNAME="hostname here"

then restart the network.

That should change your hosname and keep it when you reboot for whatever reason.

This might be a better solution.. I dunno

I also tried Ronin's solution, but it did'nt work for me....

Umm a bit more information then it didnt work for me please. :-) I set my hostname that way last night and restarted the network and it works fine on all my machines.

:juggle:

Funny thing is, I checked /etc/sysconfig/network and my hostname was already there! At boot there was a message like "setting hostname to: trinity.com. But when it was completely booted it would still give the standard hostname.

After editing /etc/rc.d/rc.local my prob was solved, dunno why!