I Busted my Gnome Menus

Guest Royster

Guest Royster

I upgraded a Mandrake 7.2 installation to 9.0. When I did so, I chose to uninstall KDE altogether. Afterward, the Gnome menus on the user accounts looked just fine.

But, then I logged in as root to reinstall/upgrade the Crossover Plugin. The root account had formerly been a KDE account. When I logged in under Gnome, it took the old KDE menus, which was OK since I almost never run X as root, but after I logged out, the user menus were the dopey root menus converted from KDE and not the nice ones from the Mandrake install.

How can I restore the Gnome user menus?

I've read the Gnome manual and it dosn't actually tell me how to edit menus or even where they are stored on the system. I'd like to find out what file gave me those nice Mandrake menus and restore it from the original RPM. Any clues for a guy whose wife is angry at him because she can't find her games anymore?

Guest Royster

It seems to return immediately and the menus don't get updated.

Running with the -V switch complains about another process holding a lock, but ps dosn't reveal the process.

Guest Royster

I did get update-menus -v to correctly run last night, but the user and root menus remained unchanged.

I also discovered menudrake which has all of the neat menus I want sitting right there all set up, but I can't get the system to use these menus. The Save menu option didn't install them.

Where does Gnome store the menu files for system default and for users?