Cannot get into the system

onlylinux

Hello,

I am unable to login to the system after it boots.

When I installed Community 10.0 Mandrake I prefered not to go for autologin. Will this be the problem..:confused:

My problems are:

While booting...

1) Mounting local sysytems: mount: mountpoint swap does not exist [failed]

but actually I have swap and it is working fine before on 9.2

it booted slowly[2 minutes approx]

Then the login window appears, when I click on a user and enter password, I am getting warning "no write access to $home directory"

"kde is unable to start"

Then it is giving an option to try to login with other username. But I created only one user while setup, and there is no option to login as root in the login box I am getting.

I tried to change the chice to Gnome and even it is giving the same error. At this point I am getting option to halt... I say yes system is shut down.

Any clue... please.. I am a linux newbie can't do much without help :rolleyes:

Thanks,

OL.

Try logging into another WM if you installed something else besides KDE or Gnome. If you haven't then log into a root desktop. I would normally not recommend doing this because you can really screw up your system, but being you are a newbie this will be the easiest way to fix this. At your login screen type for username:

root

Then whatever your root password is and log into KDE. From there open userdrake. Create your new username, log out, then log into your new username. It should work.

Note: Under no other circumstances are you to log into a root desktop. It's very dangerous and it's not meant to be used.

Edited by spiedra