3 email questions

Urza9814

I have 3 questions about email, in order of importance:

1. How do I import evolution mail into the mozilla mail program (if possible. If you can, skip 2)

2. I installed Mandrake 10.0, and it screwed up Evolution...and my mom is getting a bit mad...so right now she's using mozilla, which she likes better, but she needs her old messages which are under evolution (I've got 'em backed up...twice :P)

3. I could figure this, but since I'm asking and am really lazy, how do you set mozilla mail to not consider stuff from certain addresses junk mail? My mom is getting insulted because it calls all her union newsgroup mail stuff junk mail :P (please don't answer this unless you are also answering #1)

2 things:

1) if you open mozilla mozilla mail: click on a box -> the part where all the messages are listed. There is a column where you can set a spam-icon for a mail....Mozilla learns by itself. If a mail is spam, you click on the spam-column on the line of that mail and mozilla will learn. If it isn't spam ..mozilla is wrong, click on the spam-icon on the line of the mail.

There is an option for mozilla that says (think it is under Tools->spam or something): don't tag people in my addressbook as spam. Maybe you can even select subfolders from your addressbook, not sure.

You can also tell mozilla (per account I believe) what to do when a message is tagged as spam: something like: move the message to ... and delete after x days.

2) Rule-based filtering: (Also under tools->filltering(something like that ...) or in the context-menu when you right-click on the subject, ..of a mail).

Quite some options..you'll see. I have multiple folders for example...general, friends, maillinglists, .... If that rule is ok (and/or that ok ) move to .../delete/...

You can also say...if person is in my personal addresslist/book( you can mulitple addressbooks/lists...very handy for quick filtering through people: you can have sublists: like I have a sublist friends under personal addressbook: If I add someone to friends, it's also in personal addressbook) ,move (so .... :) ) it to folder XXX or so. I have requested to also be able to select on sublists. At the moment I only could select addressbooks/lists that isn't a sublist.

Hopes this helps you some.

Don't know about the importing...I would suggest: look where evolution saves it mails ..supposingly in a hidden evolution-folder in the home-dir(since you backed up I suppose you know where?). There is an import-option for mozilla...dfon't know where exactly... isn't it an option when you create an account? Else maybe under tools ..you could try the mbox-format or so (you backed up so you can try I suppose ...). Youshould also maybe be able to important contacts from her evolution contactlist if she used it.

Hopes this helps.

Well I use mozilla also. Haven't used evolution yet. I'm quite happy with mozilla, maybe I try it some day. Evolution does incorporate better with the gnome-desktop, but I suppose you could make mozilla also do that. (like if you pop-up your calender from your clock-applet, appointments(the days) of your evolution calendar are highlighted. There is a also a plugin to convert teh contactlist of evolution to the buddylist of gaim.

importing addressbook(but maybe this isn't needed any more ..don't know):

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/index.ph...y;threadid=8777

importing mail ...:

haven't found ..but can you export your mail in mbox format in evolution ...suppose so ..not sure here, and import it then using mozilla.

just some comparison info if interested (and if not yet read :)):

http://home.dataparty.no/kristian/reviews/...en-mua/#mozilla

Edited by Michel

See, my problem is that with mozilla, it's not import files (or if there is a way, I can't find it). It just lists programs to import from, and evolution is not one of them.

Since evolution uses the mbox format (which is the same as mozilla mail), you can just copy over the ~/evolution/Inbox/ directory to your ~/.mozilla/default/<whatever>/Mail/ directory. Restart mozilla and you will see the incoming mail at least.

However, if you divide your incoming mail to several subfolders in evolution, then it's a bit trickier. You have to create several fake email accounts and copy each of the subfolders into the directory where the the fake email acount is located. Just create a test user, copy the evolution directory from your mom's account to the test user (don't forget to change permission first), then play around with mozilla importing. I have tried it just now and it works.. somewhat.. but the result is a bit messy.

Good luck

This works for thunderbird and mozilla mail ...... maybe also evolution.

I created a hyperlink (if I recollect ok), from thunderbird's mail directory to mozilla's and I always have all my mail which of the 2 I open. Maybe handy, mayebe not... Don't know if other things are sharable.

Edited by Michel