Help with Wine

ok, i guess i need help with the commands and the setup of wine to run any "windows" application. i want to use "Steam" to run halflife games, and irc, and so on. how can i set it up wine to make it run kind of like windows, that lets me run .exes, and .zips, and .rar and from cds..

WINEHQ site is not very helpful for a first time installation... you don't need to read an entire developers "bible" to install it. Here are the basics:

Install the RPM then to setup the config file, run

$ winesetup

Winesetup may use the wrong string for you cdrom and it won't work, so you need to manual enter it. For MDK 9.2, the cdrom "device" for the config file is /dev/scd0 and the "path" will be /mnt/cdrom For MDK 10.0 the "device" will probably be /dev/hdx (where x is a letter) and the "path" is /mnt/cdrom

Update 3/13/2004: I installed wine-20040309-mdk.i586.rpm on MDK 10.0 and the winesetup auto detected path for my IDE cdrom works correctly without having to manually change it.

A wine folder (.wine) is created in your home directory with the config file and a fake_windows directory.

You may need to use the option in fstab to show hidden files on the CD if you have problems installing programs. I don't remember the option for this. I have noticed that some programs won't install unless you cd /mnt/cdrom first before you run setup.

Update 3/13/2004: You should definitely use the "unhide" option to show hidden files on the CD.

You mainly just need to make sure all of the config file [Drive X] sections are setup proper for you computer. The sound setup defaults to using OSS and you will have to manual change the config to use ALSA.

Run any windows program like this:

$ wine program_filename

If a Windows program you are installing prompts you to reboot, select to reboot later and then you have to run:

$ wineboot

This simulates rebooting of the computer and finalize the setup.

To remove windows programs run:

$ uninstaller

Update 3/13/2004: Now you can actually install something like Office97 or Office2000 and it should run, but many functions may lockup unless you play dll musical chairs with the config file and copying native dlls into your fake_windows directory to help make some functions work.

FYI - You will find it is more trouble trying to run it than what it is worth since it is very unfinished, unreliable, and generally buggy.

Edited by Dr. Ephemeron