prism54 driver

Hi,

I noticed that the mandrake 10.0 edition has the prism54 driver for WIFI network cards included. However, when i try to install it, nothing happens. The card does not become active, anything.

What is the correct procedure to follow? My card is a netgear WG511.

Thx in advance!

go into mandrake control center, hardware, hardware list, find your wifi card listed in there (it will be even if the system doesn't know what drive to use), select it, choose configure, and select the module/driver...it should be listed there (we hope).

in that case, go through the process again, and after you've done that open up a terminal, su to root (type in su, press enter, put in your root password when prompted, press enter again) and run:

service network start

go into mandrake control center, hardware, hardware list, find your wifi card listed in there (it will be even if the system doesn't know what drive to use), select it, choose configure, and select the module/driver...it should be listed there (we hope).

got some questions regarding this step.

1. Do i click "configure module" or "Run config tool"? If I click configure module it asks me for several different values, some of which I am vaguely familiar with and others I have no clue what they mean. I can get a screenshot if that is required.

2. If I click "run config tool", which is what I think you mean being that you mentioned selecting the module/driver, it does the following:

It first asks me to choose the connection you want to configure. It gives me a choice between LAN Connection and Wireless connection. In this scenario, it could be either one. It is a LAN connection, but it is also a wireless connection. Now, if I choose wireless connection and click next, it asks me to select the network interface to configure, the only option is manual choice, so I go ahead and click next. Now I see a screen where I select the driver. It's a netgear WG511 I select prism54, (correct? or should I try something else?), then I click next. Now it comes to a screen where there are two options, autoprobe or specify options. If I click autoprobe a window pops up and closes immediately and i'm back at the "select the network interface to configure" screen. I find that this just keeps going. If I select specify options, I get the same window which clicking "configure module" would yield. This infinite loop is driving me nuts and it's the only thing that is holding me back. Should I select a different driver? if so, which one?

If I choose LAN connection, as opposed to wireless connection and click next, I get two options, "Manual Choice" or "eth0: intel|82440MX CPU to I/O Controller". if I select manual choice, I get the same thing as before. but if I select the latter choice, it asks me if I want it to use DHCP or manual configuration.

I'd love to be walked through on this completely. I have an older IBM thinkpad i Series loaded solely with mandrake 10.0 with a Netgear wg511 PCMCIA wifi card. If I can get this wireless, i'd be VERY happy. I would most likely need a walkthrough due to the fact that I am a noob to the wonderful world of Linux.

Thank you for your time

sorry for my bad english but here the solution:

- remove the wlan-card

- load an firmware from http://www.prism54.org

- copy this file to /usr/lib/hotplug/firmware (mkdir firmware if doesnt exist)

- rename it (for Netgear WG511) to isl3890

- insert the card

- if after the insert some errors are displayed on console load an older firmware an rename it like shown above

- if no errors displayed try iwconfig on the console as root to configure the wlan-card (try man iwconfig for more details)

- set the card with ifconfig eth1 up online

- eventually start dhclient to get dynamic ip from a dhcp-server/accesspoint

• 2 weeks later...

I am a Linux newbie and having the same problems on an HP notebook that I recently set up for dual boot. I have tried several solutions (though I probably have screwed up a few dues to my inexperiance) and nothing has even produced a flicker on the wireless card. The only promising soltuion involed Linuxant. However, I don't want to pay to activate my wireless card. I have tried the above suggestions to no avail. Does anyone have any further help to offer?