Installing Mandrake After Minimum Install

Gromit79

Hey All,

I was experiencing some really aggravating problems installing drake 9.2. Long story short, the install process (text and high/low graphic modes; I tried it all!) would freeze at random times during the package installation phase. I finally got around this by deselecting all packages to install, then choosing "Truly minimum install" option.

I would like to get X and a desktop environment up and running, but so far have been unable to get these components completely installed using rpm and urpmi. Is there an automated package installation program that can be run independantly from the installation routine? Or, perhaps, can someone point me in the direction of instructions to install these components manually?

Any help would be appreciated.

I urpmi'd xfree86 and most (all?) packages that had kde in the package name. But when I type startx from the cli, I get various error messages that I can't remember right now, then dumps me back to a command line. I don't have the exact error msgs right now though, but I'm pretty sure that X itself is not starting properly.

Do you know what packages I need to install for X?

you didn't configure X.

try doing:

urpmi draketools

and then running

xfdrake

for a simpler way of getting X setup.

if this doesn't work out for you, there's always:

xf86config

which comes w/XFree86 (and should be installed on your system-since you installed the XFree86 package.)

also, for install KDE, it's easier to just do:

urpmi kde

which will install all the packages necessary to get KDE running (and you can add more later).

Edited by tyme

• 2 weeks later...

What's urpmi and how would I/di use it.

Using 9.2 disks I can install and configure, but when it goes to reboot it just hangs; using ctrl-c resets it but gets me nowhere and I'm eventually informed (after trying to use user/password and even root|) that:

Authentication failed - cannot start X server.

Perhaps you do not have console ownership?

Would urpmi start X server?

Why don't I have ownership?