SSH connections getting killed

fuzzylizard

I am having a problem with almost any persistant network connection and I am not sure if it is because of the firewall I have or because of my ISP.

To begin with, a little background. My ISP is Bell Sympatico and I have their High Speed Edition (HSE) which is a standard DSL connection running at 3Mbps download. The firewall that I have is a Linksys BEFSX41 - Instant Broadband™EtherFast®Cable/DSL Firewall Router with 4-Port Switch/VPN End. Quite a nice little unit.

Now for the details of the problem: Any time I open an ssh connection, the connection will eventually get cut-off. Now, before you tell me that the problem lies with the ssh server that I am connecting to, here are some facts. The ssh server belongs to several different servers at my university. Before going with Sympatico HSE, I was with Rogers Highspeed (cable) and could leave SSH connected for days. I have talked with other students since changing to Sympatico and they assure me that they are able to be connected to school via SSH for days.

I did purchase the firewall last november, before that I was using Smoothwall. However, I am certain that this problem existed even with that firewall in place.

So, the question is twofold then: (1) is there anyway that this is a function of the firewall? (2) is there anyone who is with Sympatico HSE that is having the same or similiar problems?

Just to clarify, this is not a Linux problem as I have the same problems regardless of OS.

I also have the same problem with ftp and, from the looks of things, any tcp based connection. UDP based streaming connections do not seem to have this problem. Although I have not fully tested this to ensure that this division does exist between the protocols.

Anyone have any ideas?

I have done two things and the problem seems to have gone away. The first was to update the firmware of the router/firewall and the second was to increase the keep alive time to 180 secs. So far I have been able to keep an SSH connection active for the last 3 hours. This is a huge increase versus the 1-2minutes that I use to be able to get.