DLINK DWL 520 Wireless card

HP DJ 880c using USB

WD 20 gig

WD 100 gig SE

Maxtor 120 gig SE

Acer 24x12x40 CDRW

HP dvd 200i DVD+RW

Everything works perfect with winXP

I have downloaded the Mandrake 10.0 RC1 CD ISO's and used this script to convert them to a DVD ISO. I then burned the ISO and installed MDK to the 20 gig drive eradicating winXP (after a full backup of course). I get 'sound server, fatal error, cpu overload' when I log into KDE. I have done ls /usr/bin > /dev/dsp and I get about 9 seconds of static from the speakers. When I get an error message from KDE there is also a sound that comes from the speakers.

When I open XMMS and then open an MP3 and click play XMMS locks. I have tried changing the output settings in XMMS to /dev/dsp , this did not change anything. I have tried opening Totem to play a Xvid video by double clicking on a video file as soon as Totem opens it hangs. If I open Totem without opening a file it hangs also.

Any suggestions?

Edited by jdion81

Checking in KMix the only controls on the Output tab are Volume, PCM, Speaker, OGain, Digital1 and Phone out. I am using analog 5.1 speakers (as opposed to digital) I assume if I had Digital speakers the digital1 control would handle the 5.1. I dont see controls for multiple channels anywhere.

I guess I just need to make a post to inspire myself with a solution. I went into Harddrake and ran the config tool for the sound card and changed the audio driver from emu10k1 to snd-emu10k1 and rebooted and all was fine except I needed to install xmms-alsa to get XMMS to work right.

Now if I can find an alternative to AutoGordianKnot that works well I will be all set.

• 2 weeks later...