Mandrake 9.2 networking not liking my router?

anewstereophonic

My computer is connected to a cable modem through a Microsoft wireless router (not wirelessly, through ethernet) and it is set for DHCP. For some reason the Drak tool can't automatically recieve an IP address or any information. I would set it to have static IPs but I don't have access to another computer on the network. Anyone have a solution? If you need more info feel free to post what you need.

Thanks

I would set it to have static IPs but I don't have access to another computer on the network.

Just wondering why you need another computer in order to set a static IP address on your Linux box? This can be setup directly from within Mandrake.

Anyway, first question: do you have any kind of firewall running on the Mandrake box? Also, is the network adapter (ethernet card) correctly recognized and setup, no configuration problems with the card? In addition, are you sure that the router/firewall is setup to handle DHCP? Just a few question.

fwiw, i had no problems whatsoever in getting MDK 9.2 to work properly with my D-Link personal router. I just configured the router to provide DHCP services, and configured Mandrake to obtain a network address using DHCP. Instant results.

have you tried opening a console on your linux box and pinging the address of the DHCP server in your router?

Guest emetib

win,

if he has no signal he can't ping.

to go farther on fuzzy's question. is the router putting out static or dhcp? this is, is the router being a gateway that you have to get through, or just a link with a dhcp server?

at the prompt, drakconnect. go through the setup of the card. make sure that you don't have a couple of them and are trying to grab the wrong card for your net access.

what kind of card is it? do you want to run static or dhcp?