network isnt networking

KoghK

hello,

just thought id give linux a go again (its been a few years). i have no idea what im doing with linux really. but know what im doing with windows... ive read a few other posts here about networking and havnt read anything that has helped :/

hard/software / network setup (.. have i missed anything relevant?) -

SMC 900 fast eathernet card 10/100

SMC baracade 8 port switch/router (DHCP server turned on)

dual boot with windows XP

mandrake 9.2 (has its own partitions)

ive been through the setup wizard a few times, and tried various options and combinations and i get nothing. no IP, no internet, no connection or anything similar. it sits there 'configuring' for a min or two and it still doesnt work.

ive tried to set up the lan, set up the internet and it seems to have no effect.

tried giving it the routers IP addy to try and help linux along in connecting etc. and it just doesnt want to do anything.

any help will be apreciated. thank you.

take care,

K.

whats your setup in windows xp?

you could just find the ip address/gateway/dns info there and put it into linux as statically set information, ie, ignore the dhcp server.

hope i'm not teaching you to suck eggs

-fissy

hehe... doesnt matter. i know nothing about linux... i was a little vague about some of the info.

ive tried to put 192.168.2.1 as the default gateway. looking at my XP settings that is the default gateway. which is what i thought it would be.

ive tried to put in a static IP and it didnt work. i have set the IP addresses to never expire on the DHCP server, so that way i know what IP belongs to which computer. im assuming that the IP it assigns is based on the computers hostname(?). both XP and linux have the same computer/host name. ive tried a static IP. didnt work.

i think, that maybe its something to do with zfghostip or whatever it is. cant check as im not in linux and didnt write it down.

oh, also says that eth0 is 'down'. that mean no lan connection or linux cant get the NIC to work? when i installed linux i had two NICs. one for the LAN and one for the internet. was running a proxy server for HTTP, FTP, POP3, etc. but that was a hassle and so i invested in a half decent router. linux picked up on the fasct that id disabled the onboard NIC, but could this be causing some sort of confusion/conflict?

looked through the documentation on linux and told me sod all... and deleting profiles in the network set up bit doesnt work. i have a list of various 'testing' profiles that just wont go away!

tried again today for about 30 mins. goign through the wizard, using expert mode/no expert mode etc. only thing that i havnt tried is turning off auto detect.

anyone able to give me an example of their settings in linux? the zfghost thing etc?

once ive got the network/internet working, then i need to get WINE sorted and working, and the bastard thing to see my NTFS partitions and ill be almost converted to the GNU (... incidently there is a very looong and crap joke about those!)

thank you... hope that ive not confused the issue more? :/ ... and rambled on more than enough.

take care,

K

[edit] oh and my setup in XP is basically auto assign IP and gateway. the router is setup the same way... <IT_TechnicianMode>shove the cables in the right holes and it works </IT_TechnicianMode>

Edited by KoghK

I have an smc router and xp and linux.

Things to check:

Turn off the linux firewall, if it is running.

192.168.2.1 is your gateway ip. Ping it.

If your eth0 is down, of course nothing will network! What kind of card is it? Check the driver.

If the card works, and you can ping, then be sure you are set for dhcp with the gateway as 192.168.2.1.

Check the smc router and be sure that you have not restricted access to the router. If you cloned the mac, it should work fine.

MCC should work just fine with setting up the network from your station.

Reboot the router in order to reset it. My router has occassionally caused issues that a reboot took care of.

Hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

(do i need to bump this or will it do automatically?)

thank you for the help... but it still isnt working. card works fine under windows. there are no specific linux drivers for the card. SiS say that the OS supports it perfectly. so shouldnt be a driver issue.

ive tried everything i can think of and things that i knew would no work. i even turned on PnP or whatever it is on the router... maybe ill go get redhat or the free version of lindows that they were giving away. i give up... spent another 45 mins almost pratting about with it.

As root:

# ifconfig eth0 192.168.2.20 up (or some other IP address not used elsewhere on your LAN)

This will set up a static address for your NIC.

# ifconfig eth0

should show the IP address

ping 192.168.2.1

To test it

If that works, there's nothing wrong with your NIC, just your settings...

Or post the results here :)