Hair is largely overrated....

Throughout the past week or two I had been reading the posts around this forum and others lately about how you can get a Debian installation by using the Knoppix cd, changing your sources and updating. Sounds simple enough right? Perhaps for the normal user, but I -- I am no normal user. (I had Mandrake 9.1 before this little excursion began) A few days ago I downloaded the Knoppix .iso which I burned (v.3.3) (obviously) to a cd-r. I gleefully installed Knoppix this afternoon only to find out that it's nearly impossible to get Gnome working under Knoppix. I apt-got virtually every Gnome component and requirement I could think of but still about half of the Gnome programs were MIA (SF of #musb informed me that I probably shouldn't even try at that method anymore). So...with a slightly less cheerful attitude, I turn to Gnoppix. Suffering through 100kbps downloads, I finally finish the download and burn the cd. Woohoo, looks to be working...right......right? While it does work as a live cd, I was slightly less impressed with the neverending errors I encountered when I attempted to install it to my hard drive. Crap. By now I'm more than a bit frustrated. I've tried multiple methods to try to get the hard drive installation to work, but still no dice. Continuing on I decide to try my luck at the regular Debian installation (hah yeah right, not with my luck) only to find that there are 7 cds of .iso files. :screwy: Sooooooo I turn to the excellent, friendly folks at Mandrake Users. I don't think I'm hoping for too much when I say I'd like a Debian distribution running Gnome am I? Ok so I'm mostly venting here but I am very much wondering how I can get Gnome + Debian working. Any suggestions before I don the straight jacket and download all 7 iso files? Or perhaps is there a different distribution that's compiling friendly and will run Gnome without a fuss? Thanks very much!

Net-install installs the base sys and the rest is done over the internet. This is what I did except I changed /etc/sources.list for a fast, close, mirror for unstable.

ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Debian/Net_install/

If not, you don't need 7 cd's. Just get cd1, or 1, 2, and 3 and do the rest over the net.

Oh, there's 7 (actually 8+ cd's) because that's almost all pkgs on cd for your convenience. 15,000+ :thumbs:

Edited by bvc