Keyboard and mouse problems with 2.6.2 kernel

linux_jester

I'm using MDK 9.2 and am trying to change the kernel using the 2.6.2 souce. I've done abit of reading on the net and managed to compile and install the kernel and configure lilo to give me a choice of using the new kernel using the info.

I'm finding that when I boot using the new kernel that my keyboard and mouse doesn't work. Does anyone know why this would be happening and how I can go about fixing it please.

Thanks

Sounds like you may have missed something to compile into the kernel. I have never done a good kernel myself, but many have. heck your config file again.

got the latest?-->

module-init-tools

mkinitrd

initscripts

udev

did ya?-->

mkdir -p /sysfs

and make sure /udev exist?

are you still using devfs?

did ya put

mousedev

in /etc/modules.preload? (or whatever)

What the bios have to say about ps/2?

Oh, info on most of the above is here

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/index.php?sho...1&hl=kernel-2.6

in my post...somewhere in those pages.

Edited by bvc

bvc, isn't Mandrake's default devfs instead of udev?

yes.

Note: devfs is still experimental while on its way out.

I say that because now I say this.....

udev is experimental AND in its early stages. The only problem I had was mixed up cdrom's/dvd's and therefore couldn't burn. I could play audiocd's though. This was with

devfs=nomount

using just udev.

devfs=mount fixed everything back to how it was, yet udev still mounted. I honestly d/k if they're like apm and acpi or not. Where whichever the kernel finds first is used. If that's the case then devfs=mount will cause the kernel to use devfs first, but then why is udev still mounted? I d/k....never looked into it.

Point is....the 2.6 is meant, made, and intended to use udev, else why is udev a dependency and why does it mount even when devfs is used? Mouse? Keyboard?

I see post and comments everywhere, not just this forum, about problems with kernel-2.6.x yet 90% or more aren't even running it as it's intended. I mean, if someone doesn't want to get the right pkgs for 2.6, edit fstab for sysfs, mkdir /sysfs, then they ought not run it. I understand that there is little to no docs about doing it rt., but then, are these ppl searching for docs on running it rt? I did and found enough. I've posted links in several places for those that don't google yet search forums.

It just seems logical to me to run it rt and see if the prob is resolved. :D