Samba NAS?

himuraken

Hi,

I wanted to get this communities thoughts / comments on using Linux(samba) in a windows network as a file server. I would want the clients to map to the samba server and read & write data to it. Thats about all I would need it to do. I am basically trying to come up with a non-server file server, if you know what i mean! Furthermore, I havent read any bench marks in regards to network performance iwth Samba / Windows(clients) over TCP/IP. Any input would be greatly appreciated!!!

THanks,

"Quitters never win, & winners never quit."

Yeah, of course you can do this. And don't worry about the benchmarks, Samba is at least, if not faster, than windows.

Mapping the Samba shares to windows drives and allowing Read/Write permissions is very easy. If you have any more questions, like how to set everything up, just ask.

Hint: The MOST important thing to remember when setting up Samba is to remember to enable encrypted passwords.

FYI: NAS stands for Network Area Storage and is very different from what you are looking for. Here is a good, if brief, intro to NAS

Edited by fuzzylizard

Ok, thanks...I know what a NAS is...but your right this is technically a standard fileserver. Let talk hardware now. My home setup is Mandrake 9.2 on MSI nForce2, AMD Barton2500XP, gig of ram, a 40gb ide WD, and two 100 gig WD's. Setup runs like a real champ. I want to make a cheap file server and still come out shining. I propose a MSI nforce2 board, same class(amd) processor, here is where I get concerned. I will have a 40 gig ide drive for the OS. I want to have two 120 SATA Western Digitals in a RAID mirror config. I have not used the nforce SATA in mandrake 9.2 Can anyone verify that these work? Preferably out of the box? I have got Samba running no problem, I guess my concerns are more hardware and performance wise. Thank for the clarification on Samba performance, I personally thought that it was faster than windows, but just wanted to dbl check.

Please let me know,

thanks

Edited by himuraken