botched kernel compilation

Okay, I was compiling the 2.6 kernel from source but somewhere my initrd image couldn't be generated, or corrupted. I suspect I configured it wrong somewhere...is there a conflict between udev and devfs? if so which should I use and how do I go about it?

But back to my original question, how do I "uninstall" the bad installation? Are there too many files to delete manually? If so I could just reinstall...since I got /usr and /home on separate partitions anyway.

Given enough time and effort I could search the 'net for all the answers, but what is this forum for anyway? :cheesy:

Thanks in advance!

you can clean the source tree w/

make mrproper

compiling again will overwrite the old, but if you want to remove stuff just remove the new from /lib/modules and /boot.

I've gotten errors while doing mkinitrd w/ kernel-2.6 as well but it did make and it did work.....did ya try it?

Your botched kernel is just the bzImage in /boot/

# make clean

is sufficient for getting ready to configure a new kernel,

# make mrproper

is only necessary the first time you compile the kernel and will wipe out your .config file.

devfs should be the one you want for Mandy. The re-compile process for 2.6 should go a little something like this (I'm using the directories, etc. of my machine, yours might be different:

# cd /usr/src/liunux-2.6.x
# make clean
# make menuconfig   --> tweak and save
# make
# make modules_install
# mount /dev/hda1 /boot/
# cp -i arch/i386/boot/bzImage /boot/   --> overwrite the old image
# lilo -v    (or configure grub, if you use it)

And then reboot, if you need to change something, redo the above steps to make the tweaks.

It seems I can't make an initrd image (should be initrd-2.6.3-3.img) because I lack a file called modules.dep in /lib/modules/2.6.3-3mdkcustom/.

Do I need it? Since the manpages and modules.txt were very uninformative, I tried doing "make dep" but it said, "you don't need to do it now". :unsure: huh?

So now I have a bzImage but no initrd image. I'll keep trying...at least I now had the sense to backup .config, which I spent HOURS on. :wacko:

nb. By the way, I had to wreck my normal kernel's modules trying, and had to reinstall :wall: is there a way to reinstall without formatting the /usr partition?

Edited by arthur