Kernel-Source

kieren

Hi, i have been having great trouble installing ATI radeon drivers on my MDK 9.2 system. The history of my problem is HERE.

Well it seems that I need to D/L and install the kernel-source appropriate for my system to get things working (or at least get closer to getting things working). I was given a link to this page to get a kernel-source but none of the mirrors seem to work. They all have error messages like "550 failed to chage directory" or "no such file or directorye". I have tried every single link. I have also tried following the URPMI setup link to the letter, but it bombs out every time.

Can anyone help?

Just go to a mirror, download the appropriate file, and install it!! Open a terminal, su to root, and type:

urpmi thewhole.file.name.rpm

Just go to a mirror, download the appropriate file

That's exactly my problem. Every link I click on throws up an error message. How do I actually download the file? Do I click the link? Do I use an FTP? Do I have to use a special download manager?

I had a quick look with one of the FTP packages in MDK, but couldn't pinpoint an exact file that looked like the correct one.

Any help is appreciated - I find it very hard to believe that a task as simple as downloading can be this much harder in Linux than in WIndows.

Hmm.

Which browser are you using? Try either Mozilla or Konqueor, whichever you are not using.

Or, go to the Mandrake sight, find the ftp mirror, and use gftp to fetch the file. I frequently use gftp to download while I am browsing with Konq.

Also, the file reference is not what you are lookng for. The file will be kernel-source-2.4.2-10mdk.i586.rpm, or something similiar.

Thanks pmpatrick, that worked a treat.

Thanks for the suggestions Ixthusdan, I'll persevere with the other site's links (even thought I have the file now) just to see if I can figure out what I was doing wrong. Most of the time I browse with Galeon. I have tried using gftp a couple of times but I haven't got to grips with it yet. Ftp has always somewhat of a foreign concept to me, but I'm sure I'll get the hang of it.

I'm off to install this file now, thanks for the help. :lol:

I use Galeon ALL OF THE TIME and have practically never ever had trouble downloading RPMS from anywhere, including Kernels, so there is no need as I see it to change from Galeon. You just neeed to find out what you were doing incorrectly.

Cheers. John