fresh linux installation

ybaws

hey

i'm a newbie when it come to linux

just like to know i it's possible like in windows

where you can fresh install windows on the c drive without formatt let say the f drive which is the storage

well i have mandrake 9.1 with a root partition a swap partition and a home partition

so is any way i could fresh install linux without formatting my home partition

thanks

Yep, absolutely.

However, keep in mind that it is in your home directory that a lot of confige files are placed. So if there is a problem with one of those config files, then that problem will persist after a fresh install. In addition, if you are upgrading to a newer version of Mandrake, you me be left with config files for older versions of software.

If you are doing a fresh install, then a smart thing to do is to go into your home directory and delete as many files starting with a '.' (a dot) that you can find. OR, better yet, just change the name of those files, i.e., change .kde to .kde.old. This way, you can keep the folders and the config files inside them while still avoiding problems with the fresh install. Afterwards, you can either delete the old folders if you are happy with the new install, or transfer over some config files and see how things go.

Easier way: just create a new user accound, then copy or move over all files you need.

You could give this new user access to all files of the old one too.

commands to check out:

chown

chgrp

chmod

groups

userdrake (to make a user member of a certain group for instance)

man chown

etc

to read all about it.