Mozilla and Java plugin

johanl

I am trying to get the Java plugin to work with my Mozilla 1.6 browser, but whatever I try it doesn't work. If I choose to download and install it automatically, it asks me again when I visit a page which requires Java. If I download and install it manually in the plugins directory, same thing happens. The rights on the file are OK. What else could I try? With previous versions of Mandrake (I got 9.2 now) and Mozilla (1.4) it worked and was easy to install.

or.........see my post in THIS THREAD about 3/4 down the page for how to properly install java with Mozilla without an mdk.rpm.

Chris

You could try Mandrakes own RPM of the java. j2re-1.4.2_01-1mdk.i586.rpm Its on our d-load site here: ftp://mandrake-forum.org/pub/Misc/

Your link doesn't work and I can't find the rpm somewhere else. Can you check your site for me plz?

Sorry, it was a permissions thing. Its now fixed. Thanks for letting me know. B)

The process I went through to get java working with Mozilla 1.6 in Mandrake 10.

1. Get j2re-1_4_2_03. It must be this one. j2re-1_4_2_02 and earlier do NOT work with later Mozillas including the one in 9.2. This was my main sticking point and what drove me crazy.

2. Install the rpm file.

Simple way to do it is.. go to

for the JRE

or

for the SDK

#note... if you want to write java, you will need the sdk version /#

extract them (follow the instructions from JRE or SDK.

Then, open a terminal, and create a symlink to the javaplugin file from within the plugins director of your mozilla account - i.e.

[jez@pctrefjrg9 jez]$ cd ~/.mozilla/plugins/

[jez@pctrefjrg9 plugins]$ ln -s /usr/java/j2sdk1.5.0/jre/plugin/i386/ns7/libjavaplugin_oji.so

(replace the actual values with your java install... if your using the latest versions of firefox or mozilla, then use the ns7 plugin, the ns7-gcc one won't work...)

Then, hopefully, bobbies your uncle :D

hi all, Im new here, first post. :)

I also would like a little help with java on my MDK 10 system. From what I could tell, the JRE was installed by default, but doesn't work in Konqueror or Mozilla. First try at using K3B also got a nasty message about java. Anyways, all in all I am really impressed with the performance of my MDK 10 machine (celeron 500, 256 ram), I just wish that java wasnt rocket science for a change. Thanks in advance for any help/ideas

B)

java in konqueror is easier...........

(NOTE: make sure Konqueror is not running while you do this)

open KCC (KDE Control Center aka. Configure Your Desktop)->web browsing->java & javascript. where it says "path to java executable or 'java'", point the path to the java executable. for instance, my path looks like this..........

/usr/java/j2re1.4.2_03/bin/java

depending on your version of java & the location where it's installed, your path may differ slightly. the part that matters is the last 2 parts of the path. you should end up at /bin/java. so, if your path differs, it may be something like........

/path/toyourjava/j2reblahblah/BIN/JAVA

click apply, fire up Konqueror, test with some java enabled web sites.

Chris