2.4.25-1mdk-i686-up-4GB Troubles

nggalai

Hi there,

I upgraded the 2.4.22 kernel to version 2.4.25, mainly because I have troubles with alsa and hoped the newer version that ships with 2.4.25-1mdk might remedy those. And it did. But now, I have more annoying issues.

The whole system feels bloody jerky and slow. In the past, a CPU load of 100% didn't really interfere with user interaction, but since I installed 2.4.25, the system is nigh unusable. It feels like Windows. ;) Sometimes, out of the blue, init (!!!) pushes the CPU load to over a 60%. Funny bit is, though, if I push the CPU load to 100% by hand (say, running glxgears maxed out while doing an updatedb), NONE of the above applies. No jerkyness, no slow response, nothing. Or rather, the way it's supposed to be. But gods forbid I want to compile anything. I can practically leave my seat, grab a book, and take a break then.

Has anybody here any idea what's going on, how I might have buggered my system, and what apart from falling back to the older kernel I could do to solve these problems?

Feedback is MUCH appreciated.

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai

Addendum: If I log onto X as root, the problems don't apply--even if I start all the same applications as I would as user. :| Here's the pstree, identical for both root and user.

[rb@karoshi rb]$ pstree
init-+-bdflush
    |-crond
    |-devfsd
    |-gdnc
    |-gdomap
    |-kapmd
    |-keventd
    |-khubd
    |-kinoded
    |-4*[kjournald]
    |-klogd
    |-ksoftirqd/0
    |-kswapd
    |-kswsuspd
    |-kupdated
    |-login---bash---startx---xinit-+-X
    |                               `-wmaker---wmcpuload
    |-mdrecoveryd
    |-5*[mingetty]
    |-rxvt.bin---bash---su---bash
    |-rxvt.bin---bash---pstree
    |-sshd
    |-syslogd
    |-xfs
    |-xinetd
    `-xscreensaver

-Sascha.rb

Update: Got some info regarding the configuration of Mandrake's 2.4.25 kernels. In short: the preemptive kernel option is disabled, gods know why that's supposed to make a difference. I mean, hello? Who wants Linux to run as realtime OS? ;)

Anyway, installed 2.6.3, and it runs without jerks at high loads. If you don't want to go the 2.6 road, you'll probably need to recompile 2.4.25 yourself and play around the configuration.

-Sascha.rb

Edited by nggalai