su doesn't work

bcre8iv

Hi all.

This is, of course, my first post to the boards, and I am VERY new to Linux, so please forgive my ignorance. I am, however, having a problem. When I try to do things that require root permissions like, say, changing the system time, KDE asks for the root password. When I type it in, it says it's incorrect (I know it's not, when I log into root it accepts it). Also, if I decide to go to the konsole and enter the su command myself, it comes back:

"su: cannot set groups: Operation not permitted". I did find that if I log into root there are options under the security settings to disable this command, but unless I am way off base I have enabled it. Anybody else ever experienced this? Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks,

Eric

Well... the first user I had this problem with, yes. However, I ended up deleting said user and creating another with the User Administrator tool.

There are a lot of bugs in the Mandrake tools with the 9.2 release. I would try logging into the root account via kde and then updating all Mandrake tools. This problem seems like a tool bug to me. Someone else may know how to edit group permissions, but anything that can be done must be done as root. So don't login as your user, login as root, and see what happens.

just guessing here, but it sounds like you might have chosen to high of a security level during setup.......

what security level did you select during setup? if you selected anything higher than "standard", that could be the reason for you problem. if you're not sure, open Mandrake Control Center (MCC)->security->DrakSec. look at the first tab (basic) & down at the bottom where it says "security level" make sure that says "standard". check the other 3 tabs (network options, system options, periodic checks) & make sure all the options under each of those tabs are set to "default". save the configuration & reboot. then try doing things that need root permissions as normal user (like su in terminal, MCC, KDE Super User Mode, etc.). you should get the normal dialogue box asking for the root password that will let you access them.

standard is a safe option, unless you have some uber secretive info on your computer (like the whereabouts of the WMD's, Jimmy Hoffa's body, my sanity) that you want to keep top secret.

:D

Chris

Nope... that didn't work. One important thing I've just realized that I didn't include in my first post is that it did work at one point. There was a time when I could enter the password and it would accept it. One day it just quit working. I think I might have screwed something up somehow... I figure I am going to have to reinstall Linux many times in the near future though, because my method for learning an operating system is if I don't know what it does, I click on it to find out. As you can imagine, I get myself into some pretty big troubles that way sometimes. (Imagine when I was learning DOS and found the format c: command... "hmm... I wonder what this 'format' thing does... :furious3: that wasn't good!"). So I might be doing my first reinstall for this one...

Thanks for your help and if you have any other suggestions before I decide to reinstall I would appreciate them!

Eric

I figure I am going to have to reinstall Linux many times in the near future though,

Unlike windoze, there are very few things in Linux that screw up so bad you have to reinstall.

I figure I am going to have to reinstall Linux many times in the near future though,

Unlike windoze, there are very few things in Linux that screw up so bad you have to reinstall.

Unless you inadvertantly did something as root and did not realize that you created the end of the world!! :D