KDE 3.2

Ghil Vertefeuille

This could take me some time to write... - it took me about 3 days to get KDE3.2 to work. First I tried using Konstructor, but alsa was just permenantly broke...

So this is how I did it..

First, if you don't already, install gnome / ice /another window manaker... (so you can save things if they go down the toilet..)

Second, grab and install the new qt from somewhere - I let Konstructor do that for me :P

Third... find a local cooker mirror (thats where you can find the rpms... - I'm in the UK, on the JANET line, so the closest for me was ftp.mirror.ac.uk, but I can't promise that it will work for non-acedimia users.. - go to Mandrake 10... look for your country (at the bottom), and then browse the ftp site for something resembling SunSITE's cooker...

Point the software media manager to all three RPM folders (They all have things you could need), and find the hdlist.cz files too, and tell SMM where to find em...

Fourth... delete the old KDE - for some reason, for me kde 3.1 and 3.2 on the same system led to LOTS of issues... conflicts etc, even though its MEANT to work.... but hey-ho.. my pc is Special...

Fifth... fire up rpmdrake after telling it to look at the mirrors you previously found, and then grab from the Desktops section, all the RPMs for KDE that you think you will need, and install them. RPMDRAKE does a reasonable job with dependencies, but for some (such as the KDM, IGNORE it and use mdk-DM (or whatever its called) instead - the KDE one seems to lead to all sorts of problems (well... it did for me anyway..)

I might have missed something here - I'm writing this from memory..., but thats the general gist of how I did it. Good luck if you do decide to go-ahead. Personally, I now believe that it may well have been easier to wait until Mandy10 passed from RC1 to a full distro release, and just grab the iso's... but I was impaitant...

There's nothing wrong with konstruct, its just LM doesn't install the right tools to use it to start with. There are two versions of autoconf, which can exist side by side. LM only installs one by default but you need the other one to make konstruct work. Just boot up rpmdrake type in autoconf and add it plus any dependencies that pop up and then run konstruct and it works fine.

Of course you could consider the fact that it doesn't tell you that you don't have the correct version of autoconf and that you have to actually read the INSTALL file and compare versions manually, to mean that it is permenantly broke. It took me over 3 months to figure this out, so if you did think this you have a point.

Add them not replace. Then either tell urpmi to specically use those sources from the commandline (urpmi -help or man urpmi) or use the media manager in mcc>software management to disable (not delete>disable[uncheck]) your old so that it only uses the new and update the sources. You could try to just add it though....urpmi is good with many sources.