Good Complier for a beginning Programer

newbie4ever

I havn't done any programing at all since I was in school and wrote programs in pascal under windows 3.1 using an old complier. I also did one semester of C++ programing. I would like to be able to write some small things for linux, like something for kde or gnome, maybe a simple game or something. I could go back to school, but I really don't want to waste my time writing stuff for visual basic under windows. Could some one please direct me to some good free documentation, compiliers resources.

Sorry if this sounds really really dumb, but I am newbie4ever. :P :joker:

I would not rule out college courses, or continueing education courses, so quickly. There are lots of school that offer courses in C, C++, Java, etc. Going to school does not necessarily mean VB and Windows.

In terms of IDE's, check out either Anjuta or KDevelop. Both are excellent for creating C/C++ programs. Also, check the documentation on your computer. Both KDevelop and QT Designer come with a ton of it.

In terms of books, check out anything from either Wrox or O'reilly. You can not go wrong with either one.

If you want to learn Java programming, check out the java website - http://www.javasoft.com There are a ton of tutorials there starting at the very beginning to more advanced topics.