Windoze Fonts

Urza9814

Just wondering if there's any way to get the windows fonts in Linux...it's really annoying that the windows fonts don't work in GAIM and stuff...and obviously the linux fonts don't work for other ppl...Is there like, a special port of them for linux, or some linux prog that'll port them or something?

Also, if it's not, like, an RPM, or some prog that you just kinda click import fonts or something...I need to know how to install them... :-P

In MCC, you can import windex fonts. Whether they are in a windex partition or on another device like a cdrom, you can bring them in. Check it out.

In MCC, you can import windex fonts. Whether they are in a windex partition or on another device like a cdrom, you can bring them in. Check it out.

Yes, it works very well, but if you have many windows fonts it can take a while and seem to have stopped, so be patient.

I imported some couple of hundred font's and it took forever...

Since the windows fonts are in winnt, you need to use Mandrake Control Centre to enable you to Mount the Windows partition first so Mandrake can look into the windows partition.

Having done that, then you can copy the Fonts by using the Fonts Manager in MCC (now I am doing it!!!!).

NOTE********** When you have finished copying the Fonts, for safetys sake you should UnMount the Windows partition otherwise you could accidently delete it or if you do something that screws up your up your Linux OS you could screw up your Windows one as well.

Cheers. John (69yrs young)

My windows partition is always mounted...makes it easier :-P

I suppose there are reasons that that is being stupid too...just like booting into root in a GUI...but hey, I'm stupid...get used to it :-P If you say you shouldn't do something, I probably do :-P

Main reason I have windows mounted is...well...it's been like that since I insatalled linux...but main reason I would never unmount it is I use it a lot...my CD burner prog kept locking up the other day in windoze, so I went to linux...had to boot into root in a GUI, but I was able to use the linux burner prog to make the CD...didn't do that in the first place because I've never used any linux CD burner progs...and I wanted to do it quickly...funny thing is, I spent about an hour on windoze as it locked up, froze, loaded, etc..., when it took about 10 minutes on linux :-P Also keep it mounted because my printer is on the other comp...so to print stuff from linux I have to put it on the windoze partiton, boot to windoze, and go on the other comp and get it through the network...the printer my mom got doesn't work with linux, and it doesn't work with a network...