installing 9.2 alongside xp

Michel

Heya,

I'm tryinbg to install mandrake 9.2 alongisde windows xp. But, every time I choose "use free space of windows partition3 it says I have to defrag it first.

What I have done so far:

defragmentation with xp's defragger in normal and safe mode(with terminal).

I also tried "PerfectDisk" defragger.

I keep getting the error. Does anyone has any experience with defragging xp good enough so mandrake installer can resize it?

Thanks.

I would prefer to let it be handled by the installer ..., but I also have a knoppix -cd if youi don't know a way to defrag xp well enough.

using Free Space can mean two very different things. The first meaning is to simply use whatever space does not contain windows files at the end of a Windows partition. The second meaning (and the meaning that I think the Mandrake installer uses) is to use the free non-partitioned space on the drive.

My guess is the you are using the first meaning. This is why mandrake is asking you to defrag the drive. You will need to do this in order to safetly repartition the drive without doing damage to any files. Your best bet is to resixe your current partition using Partionmagic and create some non-partitioned space at the end of the drive. Mandrake will then use this free space and you can skip the defrag process.

HTH

Use the xp utility to create a new partition. This will allow windex to let go of the reat of the drive so that you can install a useful os! B)

You can then install Mandrake in the empty xp partition.