What happen to MDK 9.2

NecroScumBag

Well, yesterday I dl'ed and installed 9.2... WOW what a change from MDK 8.0.. What happen to all the nice game and additional programs that came with the package. I select all the client, games and applications select in the install process. But I am missing app like XIME, the cd burning software and a couple of the games. Did I miss something. I am a newbie when it come to linux. And feedback would be helpful. As well as link to any forums, website or etc. Thanks in advance for you respone.

Packages change, some apps come and some apps go.

Yeah, there are definitely some different packages between 8.0 and 9.2. However, you will find that the new programs are most likely better than what they replaced. For instance, for CD burning try K3B - an amazing app that actually makes cd burning easy for linux.

As for websites/forums/etc... You found it. This is the only website/forum/etc that you will ever need for Mandrake. If you can not find the answer here, it probably does not exist. :D

Thanks for the info!  Also Man, MDK 9.2 is running a little slower then 8.0.. Guess Ill have to work on it or live with it.

Slower be cause it's heavier than 8.0 and and you lack resources?...or because something's not configured correctly?

In a terminal as root do;

hdparm /dev/hdX

where X is usually a (master) or b (slave)

suse:~ # hdparm /dev/hdb

/dev/hdb:

multcount    = 32 (on)

IO_support   =  1 (32-bit)

unmaskirq    =  1 (on)

using_dma    =  1 (on)

keepsettings =  0 (off)

readonly     =  0 (off)

readahead    =  16 (on)

geometry     = 14946/255/63, sectors = 240121728, start = 0

suse:~ #

Oh, and

hdparm -I /dev/hdX

and look for what udmaX is set.

DMA: mdma0 mdma1 mdma2 udma0 udma1 udma2 udma3 udma4 udma5 *udma6
mine is *udma6 Edited by bvc

My system is a p2 400, 256 ram, 10 gig segate fireball hd. If is probly my system. But I look it the suggestion you have posted. Thanks again.

PS: This is probly the wrong forum! But i want to know. If it better to compile a program and make a install for a program to install on a system. Or is it better to install from a rpm. The program in question is the new version of wine from winehq. Later Ill be trying to get my hands on wonex. Just testing the waters. Thanks again

Anything will work. The question is how much work do you want to do? Doing it just the learn? Sure, go ahead and knock yourself out. Compiling get's you nothing in performance (nothing noticable anyway) so there's really no point in compiling unless an rpm isn't available yet and you can't wait a couple of days or weeks.

Hi BVC. I like your comment about compiling. Do I presume correctly that you include KERNELS in your comment??? I quietly believed this to be true, in relation to Kernels, but never dared say it out loud since I don't have the experience. When someone like yourself with so much more experience says it that way, it puts my mind at ease at last for not venturing into this KERNEL activity. Of course a lot of small software packages have to be compiled because RPMs for them never become available for months and months.

Good one BVC.

N S B Go into MCC (Mandrake Control Centre) and select Software Management then select Install Software Packages then select All Packages, Alphabetical.

It will show a list of ALL packages from ALL 3 CD-Roms that have NOT already been installed. Select what you want and click install. It will tell you which of the 3 CD-ROMs to insert as it requires them. It really is that simple.

Have fun. Cheers. John (69yrs young) :)